[SOLVED] Unbeatable Windows 10 Hanging - HELP!

Sep 28, 2019
Hi Toms Hardware Users,
(Long time lurker, first time poster)

To be blunt, I am completely fed up with this job I have been given to fix. The customer came to me saying his monitors would both turn off whilst using his custom built desktop.

Issue: The customer uses video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Divinchi Resolve and the usual Adobe based image editing software. Randomly, his PC will go completely black on both monitor screens, his speakers will give off a slight pop (couldn't reproduce the speakers popping when it did this for me).

Even when you try and power down the computer using the power button or reset button, nothing will happen. You need to physically pull the power cable to reset the computer.

Computer Specs:
  • MSI Titanium X370 XPower Gaming motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core AMD CPU
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • DDR4 64GB Corsair RAM
  • EVGA 850W G2 Supanova Power Supply
  • Windows 10 Pro
I thought this was considered a bluescreen, but when I check windows event viewer and windows reliability viewer, it displays no errors from the time of the hanging. It use to show errors, but I went through and applied fixes to what ever was displaying as an "error" in the windows event viewer.

Since then I have done the following:
  • Tested the RAM for 4 complete passes using Memtest86.
  • Have reinstalled the graphics driver. (Uninstalled then reinstalled using WU).
  • Performed every single windows update necessary.
  • Scanned the windows system disk for errors, SFC scan.
  • Swapped out monitors and HDMI cables.
  • Tested the power supply.
  • Logged CPU core temperatures from time of the hang.
  • Used GPU tester to scan for errors.
  • Removed graphics card and switched PCI slots (latest change).
I am in dire help here guys. I am running out of options. Almost all the hardware on this build is fairly fresh and has been tested. Just when I feel like I have it fixed and running stable, the customer manages to make it hang again. I can confirm that the hanging occurs whilst performing normal everyday tasks, but seems to happen more so when I stress the resources, take note, that its almost impossible to slow this machine down by opening a ton of programs.

So its like the display basically cuts out but also disables the ability to power down. Also cuts the audio as soon as it hangs. But windows doesn't recognize it as an error in the logs, only the fact that I had to shut down windows incorrectly. Have googled "windows 10 screen goes black". So many people with out a fix. I have come to the collective of the Tomshardware mind to hopefully shed some light on my issue.

Thanks a billion times in advance for reading.

Last edited:
Solution
I would certainly try a clean install. The Ryzen 3900 hasn't been around that long. The timing seems off on the what version of Windows when comment. With an X370 mobo, certainly some other CPU was used previously.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is the make/model of the PSU? Are the AMD motherboard chipset drivers installed?

I am a bit concerned with that CPU and motherboard combo. Looks like a beta BIOS may be what allows the 3900 to work. Not a fan of that approach.

Sep 28, 2019
Thanks COLGeek, just updated the post.

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core AMD CPU
  • EVGA 850 G2 Supanova
Yup the chipsets are installed. I noticed they were not installed in device manager when I first got given the computer to fix, the hanging was occurring before the chipsets were installed. Windows update wouldn't download the drivers when I attempted to find them, had to go to get the drivers from AMD directly, as soon as they installed, the unknown PCI's disappeared from device manager, but the hanging still occurs.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019
The thing is. He had this exact build running on Windows 7 for several months. He stated that after he upgraded to windows 10, this issue began. I did a clean install of windows 10 myself though, just to be sure. Same issue.

Since I switched PCI slots, I have not had the issue just yet. I have been reading that it could be windows 1903 throwing the issue? Any thoughts guys?

Sep 28, 2019
Hi,

After installing Windows 10, I let device manager use Windows update to install any unknown devices. The chipsets would not install via that option, so I went directly to the AMD Ryzen support page and downloaded the chipset from there. The unknown devices disappeared as soon as I did that. Error still persists but.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have access to a previous generation Ryzen? If so, can you install it and see if the system stabilizes?

Also, you mentioned Win 7 earlier? This config was previously running Win 7? Or, we it a different config that was recycled for use with the current config?

Sep 28, 2019
Hi Guys,

Ketchup I went to MSI's website and reinstalled all the required drivers. Still hung roughly 2 hours or so later :(

COLGeek, no I don't believe he does have access to the previous CPU -.-

But yes, he was originally on Windows 7 for a few months, he came to me saying he wanted Windows 10 and to fix intermittent boot issues. Truth be told.. I cannot remember if I did a complete clean install of if I just upgraded his Windows 7 to 10. Could performing the upgrade instead of a clean install cause problems?

Mod, do you think you could change the topic name to "Windows 10 Black Screening" please?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would certainly try a clean install. The Ryzen 3900 hasn't been around that long. The timing seems off on the what version of Windows when comment. With an X370 mobo, certainly some other CPU was used previously.

Solution