Question Unbent CPU Socket pin but still no boot

Jun 7, 2024
I got a broken mobo + cpu set from a friend (i5-10400f & GIGABYTE z490 Gaming X). He said it broke while upgrading, I took it to the shop and they noticed the bent pin. I somewhat fixed it, but still the same issue: fans spin for a second, then they stop and the red CPU debug light comes on. I've done basic debugging already, so the main question is how do I know if I fixed the pin enough or what should I look for next? I can include pictures when I have access to a better phone camera.

I can confirm my CPU is ok because it worked on another motherboard, same with all other components in my old build. CMOS battery is alive, I tested it with an LED. PSU, GPU, RAM, no problems.

It looks good now, . (pic attached in case I just couldn't see another bent pin, the shimmer makes it noticeable but it still looks like the contact point is in place). Also would appreciate tips on how I can take better photos of these, I used a magnifying glass and an iPhone camera.
AP1GczO6jxmZIjdXz9wzvRUKOi8_-ITcmR9dNgxFEMgTDEhUADVukzqqLdo88qQYbFt9sl60MhhnpKIgQDtIdq1AAWYWaC88yxWpzKXEVZSWxSPzN1FsO_3ByrwlZMsZFtVM6eTvl5_RSPoIU-rc3yYsyE_CYw=w1898-h1760-s-no-gm
AP1GczNu69A3DOdQpj117_vOJyVqJv62icP1a9IM7QUnMl4_O3riMLvHVggqco_Al-Y1xbMf4H-SqUCexkSKJpx5SxL6TuiJuBJJYGdjISvCwPPe70A3XvxUOaSVCKBYbxxJlPc4SWC0MeqGhSIPxLxIWrRtxg=w2294-h1720-s-no-gm

Jun 7, 2024
I noticed on the top right of the first picture, there is some thermal paste or some other foreign substance cruding up the notches, along with what looks like a drop of it possibly on a pin?
That could be the issue, it's always been there to my knowledge. Just tried cleaning it, and still the same problem (still some collected there though).

The second picture also looks like there might be PCB damage to the right of the socket which isn't necessarily a huge problem, but if there's damage done to any of the circuits would prevent the board from functioning.

There should be 8 pins on the far left above the plastic break and I can only see 6 (unsure if they're just broken off or a foreign substance is there).

Reactions: jaundice-bruh
Jun 7, 2024
The second picture also looks like there might be PCB damage to the right of the socket which isn't necessarily a huge problem, but if there's damage done to any of the circuits would prevent the board from functioning.

There should be 8 pins on the far left above the plastic break and I can only see 6 (unsure if they're just broken off or a foreign substance is there).
That's just thermal paste haha, cleaned that up with IPA! Also, what do you mean by the 8 pins at the far left?

I can't really tell if it's the picture or the socket, but the pins on the right look slightly off. The ones on the left there I think it's just a discoloration but those look different than the others by them.

Neither looks like it should be a problem, but that's all I can see on the socket looking at the picture more closely.

ZelLjEt.jpeg

Jun 7, 2024
I can't really tell if it's the picture or the socket, but the pins on the right look slightly off. The ones on the left there I think it's just a discoloration but those look different than the others by them.

Neither looks like it should be a problem, but that's all I can see on the socket looking at the picture more closely.

ZelLjEt.jpeg
I think you are right regarding the right side! I got a bit sloppy and slipped up a few times when fixing it, I'll try fixing it up tomorrow with a fresh head and see if that was the issue, but it feels like a negligible offset.

As for the left, if you are referring to that copper color, that's just from the angle (it's under the actual pin, but only visible there).

I'll try to see if I can get my hands on a DSLR for better photos!

As for the left, if you are referring to that copper color, that's just from the angle (it's under the actual pin, but only visible there).
That's exactly what I figured it was, but it seemed worth noting just in case.
I'll try fixing it up tomorrow with a fresh head and see if that was the issue, but it feels like a negligible offset.
Yeah it doesn't seem like it should be too far off to me either.

Everything is intact enough it really makes me wonder what all your friend did when attempting upgrade. Maybe try double checking to see if any pins are being bridged somehow.

Reactions: jaundice-bruh