Unboxing, Hands-On with Google's New Baby, the Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just got an email, will be shipping in 2 weeks....... If only there was a cancel button on my "PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1one"order

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Damn I just got a Kindle fire about a month ago!

Oh well, these things are like Hens teeth right now anyhow. I'll wait for them to become common and for the price to drop.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
*Cue shameless promotion of the Nexus and comparison to a near-year-old Kindle Fire*

I appreciate the review, but at the same time I take every word said with a grain of salt as there's no mention of the short-comings. It's just one "this is awesome" aspect after another. Having multiple android products, I refuse to believe that everything about the Nexus is awesome. I look forward to proper reviews (sure, I get it--this is just an unboxing and initial impressions).

What's more interesting is how Amazon's upcoming tablet products will compare. I'm not at all a fan of the OS Amazon decided to use for the Fire (I hate it, in fact), but it's much more applicable, especially given the rumored spec's that the next gen Fire/Amazon tabs will be sporting.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Nice article, but seriously maybe next time you can unbox a camera with a decent auto-focus? The pictures were worse than just about any I have seen on the internet. I would rather you just hold the thing up to a mirror so it can take a picture of itself.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Google should have shipped the tablets to the loyal customers that preordered the tablet through Google play first, because they paid a $13.99 shipping fee that some stores did not charge to their customers. At least you would have expected all the tablets to ship at the same time, but Google shipped the tablets to stores first. That made a lot of loyal customers angry that they paid more to get it days later. They even shipped my tablet from the east coast that caused an extra day delay since I live on the west coast. They should refund the shipping charges since they didn't mention that we were paying to get it later.

G

@Osming

Know your pain,happens the same with games...no more preorder for me... :-(

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]*Cue shameless promotion of the Nexus and comparison to a near-year-old Kindle Fire*I appreciate the review, but at the same time I take every word said with a grain of salt as there's no mention of the short-comings. It's just one "this is awesome" aspect after another. Having multiple android products, I refuse to believe that everything about the Nexus is awesome. I look forward to proper reviews (sure, I get it--this is just an unboxing and initial impressions).What's more interesting is how Amazon's upcoming tablet products will compare. I'm not at all a fan of the OS Amazon decided to use for the Fire (I hate it, in fact), but it's much more applicable, especially given the rumored spec's that the next gen Fire/Amazon tabs will be sporting.[/citation]

So, exactly what part of "It's our first few hours with Google's Nexus 7 Android tablet." told you this was an in-depth review? You say yourself you know it's just initial impressions, right after you bash them for not fully reviewing the device. WTF?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]So, exactly what part of "It's our first few hours with Google's Nexus 7 Android tablet." told you this was an in-depth review? You say yourself you know it's just initial impressions, right after you bash them for not fully reviewing the device. WTF?[/citation]

Exactly what part of me saying "I get it--this is just an unboxing and initial impressions" told you that I thought this was an in-depth review? All I said was that nothing is 100% awesome, and this unboxing and impressions would have much more weight if it didn't read like a giant Ad for the Nexus and google play products. In case you missed it, I said that I looked forward to proper reviews of the nexus.

Point being, you can usually separate an informative unboxing/impressions piece from a straight-up advertising piece, and this one reeks of the latter. Hence why I said that I take every word in this with a grain of salt.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]*Cue shameless promotion of the Nexus and comparison to a near-year-old Kindle Fire*I appreciate the review, but at the same time I take every word said with a grain of salt as there's no mention of the short-comings. It's just one "this is awesome" aspect after another. Having multiple android products, I refuse to believe that everything about the Nexus is awesome. I look forward to proper reviews (sure, I get it--this is just an unboxing and initial impressions).What's more interesting is how Amazon's upcoming tablet products will compare. I'm not at all a fan of the OS Amazon decided to use for the Fire (I hate it, in fact), but it's much more applicable, especially given the rumored spec's that the next gen Fire/Amazon tabs will be sporting.[/citation]

I am an Android fan, maybe to a fault. I love my Droid X which is two years old, but it does freeze, lock up, etc. However, the Nexus 7 with the Tegra 3 and Jellybean feels a whole lot more like a finely developed product. It is super fast and responsive, and the only things that hang up are some apps that haven't been updated for Jelly Bean. So far it has been a great experience and I'm looking forward to getting a faster Android 4.1 phone. Android is very different on a cheap device with Froyo or Gingerbread, vs. a faster higher end device with ICS or JB.

The only reason they compare this to the Fire is because it's the only direct competition for now. I believe the newer Samsung Galaxy 7 would be a better comparison for the sake of the article.

comedie

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Was waiting on this tab, until I saw the specs. No SDHC expansion, then no sale to me. I mostly use my tab when traveling to watch videos. So no wifi availability, and I can only watch what I can fit into the tab or plug into it. So while specs may not be as attractive, I ended up buying a Samsung 7" tablet. Has a nasty proprietary connection, but I can easily plug in micro SDHC cards. Got it cheap, so if someone else comes along with a better, expandable tab, then I can jump on it with little regret. Hoping ASUS will get their own version right, rather than the Kindle-esque chopped model Google wanted them to make.

andrew_b

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
With so much wrapped up in your Google account, if you have anything Android you should activate the 2-step authentication where you telesign into your account, and have the security knowing you are protected if your password were to be stolen.

G

First, I bought an iPad1...love it! Then I bought the Kindle Fire...like it. It's my VW Bug while the iPad is my Cadillac. Now I have the Nexus 7 and am learning how to use it...it is quite beautiful, but if you have the Fire, don't despair. Fire is still a nice little tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.