Question Undeletable Partion

olehburko

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Hello everyone i was messing around with my storage and cloned my primary boot drive and now everything has spilled over my new ssd and i have 2 identical boot drives that i don't need how do i delete one, it is for some reason unavailable for deletion

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Hello everyone i was messing around with my storage and cloned my primary boot drive and now everything has spilled over my new ssd and i have 2 identical boot drives that i don't need how do i delete one, it is for some reason unavailable for deletion
Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

After the clone process, did you physically disconnect the old drive and boot up from only the NEW drive?
If not, do that now.

It's going to be tricky, to solve you might want to keep all drives connected and boot from the windows setup of an usb (this is how I would solve it) not knowing witch drive is actually booting is going to make it harder to resolve, Suggest to find out witch drive is witch 1st or decide witch to keep if it's working and remove the working one then boot into setup and wipe the other, then reinstall the working drive again and all should be good to boot and just have to partition the wiped drive again.

USAFRet

Titan
It's going to be tricky, to solve you might want to keep all drives connected and boot from the windows setup of an usb (this is how I would solve it) not knowing witch drive is actually booting is going to make it harder to resolve, Suggest to find out witch drive is witch 1st or decide witch to keep if it's working and remove the working one then boot into setup and wipe the other, then reinstall the working drive again and all should be good to boot and just have to partition the wiped drive again.
Not tricky, if we knew which drives were what.

Awaiting further info from the OP.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Not tricky, if we knew which drives were what.

Awaiting further info from the OP.
Sure thing, just some ideas, maybe to op is trying something now and cant come back to the forums for info right away, got to wait it out.

Got to see some disk management screenshot, or a cell phone or mobile photo of the disk layout screen in the windows setup.

As for why the title said Undeletable partition? with the right guidance any partition can be managed into functionality again unless the hardware is busted.

(Use the Task manager and This PC to determine witch disk is witch via free space and disk number, then compare
those findings with what you see in the Windows custom setup and deleted the appropriate volumes)
And obviously after rectifications have been made, exit the Windows custom setup with the X
and let the pc restart if you don't want to loose any current data of the remaining working drive.

Last edited:

olehburko

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
after messing around some more and reinstalling windows it has migrated onto my ssd whilst pretending to be a separate hdd, i deleted the clones i did not need but still have system backups i want to integrate, i think it all worked out but i am not 100 percent sure, also how do i attach a image i only see a way to attach images from the web, i know which drive my windows was on a Samsung hdd now it's on a ssd as a separate partition and the only thing populating the hdd are system reserved partitions, after shutting down my pc and selecting the ssd with the windows partition as a primary boot source it booted into windows effortlessly, now the only question remaining is the back ups and system reserved partitions on the Samsung hhd and if i really need them

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
after messing around some more and reinstalling windows it has migrated onto my ssd whilst pretending to be a separate hdd, i deleted the clones i did not need but still have system backups i want to integrate, i think it all worked out but i am not 100 percent sure, also how do i attach a image i only see a way to attach images from the web, i know which drive my windows was on a Samsung hdd now it's on a ssd as a separate partition and the only thing populating the hdd are system reserved partitions, after shutting down my pc and selecting the ssd with the windows partition as a primary boot source it booted into windows effortlessly, now the only question remaining is the back ups and system reserved partitions on the Samsung hhd and if i really need them
A screencap of your Disk Management window is needed.

Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.

Shouldn't have deleted that small 499MB partition in the first place.
Now you'll have to recreate it.

Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately.
diskpart
select disk 1
list partition
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=J
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s J:

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully."

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

Oh right.
You have MBR partitioned disk and already 3 primary and one extended partitions on it.
Additional partitions can not be created.
You'll have to delete recovery partitions first.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 2
(select 460MB partition)​
delete partition override
After this is done, execute commands from post #12.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/a/s5TxzFL
, i mean i am fine with having the samsung just sit the system is still even with this mess a lot faster than before

Sorry I'm not more of a help in resolving your issue, but to avoid this mess that you are now stuck
with unless you follow what is mentioned in above posts, this is exactly the type of mess best avoided.

I have always gone through great effort to resolve these type of storage issues on my own pc pronto, no matter how confusing or hard it might be at the time, because if you don't at some point in the future when making other storage changes or perhaps reinstalling or removing or adding drives you will again face problems that will hinder your as of objective.

olehburko

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Sorry I'm not more of a help in resolving your issue, but to avoid this mess that you are now stuck
with unless you follow what is mentioned in above posts, this is exactly the type of mess best avoided.

I have always gone through great effort to resolve these type of storage issues on my own pc pronto, no matter how confusing or hard it might be at the time, because if you don't at some point in the future when making other storage changes or perhaps reinstalling or removing or adding drives you will again face problems that will hinder your as of objective.
I will admit i did bite a lot more than i can chew, and my unhealthy obsession with adding more and more drives does not help, but you guys have been a great help

olehburko

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Shouldn't have deleted that small 499MB partition in the first place.
Now you'll have to recreate it.

Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately.
diskpart
select disk 1
list partition
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=J
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s J:

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully."

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm
did what you said. deleted the previous one,
View: https://imgur.com/a/4DwAuWf

sorry if i am bothering you too much, i have never done this before and i am working on a car at the same time so i am trying to be extra careful