Question Under consistent moderate loads just one of my GPU fans RPM ramp up and down (but fan speed stays the same) creating a ton of noise. How can I fix it?

Sep 23, 2021
After a recent re-installation of windows and under consistent moderate loads, just one of my GPU fans tachometer ramp up and down (but fan speed stays the same) creating a ton of noise. What can I do to fix this?

Please keep in mind that I do have a custom fan curve set up. It has worked prior to my clean installation of windows with no issues. It still is technically following the fan curve and the fan speed % stays the same (or at least shows as it is), only the RPM drastically doubles and interestingly for only one fan (the one closest to the IO shield).

5mphuuP.png

Sep 23, 2021
Did you check the other fan is working properly and not being physically obstructed by a cable inside the case?

Have you recently performed routine maintenance (cleanup) on the GPU?

I have, prior to the aforementioned re-installation of windows I gave it a good blow out with canned air and made sure no dust build up had occured (I try to do this every 6-12 months). There are no cables obstructing the GPU or fans.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I have, prior to the aforementioned re-installation of windows I gave it a good blow out with canned air and made sure no dust build up had occured (I try to do this every 6-12 months). There are no cables obstructing the GPU or fans.
Did you install the same driver you were using before the new Windows? See if a different driver version (newer or older) helps with the issue. Try to set a new custom curve to reduce the fan speed.

You could either have a fan starting to fail (regardless of GPU age) or a damaged temperature sensor.

Sep 23, 2021
Did you install the same driver you were using before the new Windows? See if a different driver version (newer or older) helps with the issue. Try to set a new custom curve to reduce the fan speed.

You could either have a fan starting to fail (regardless of GPU age) or a damaged temperature sensor.

I could try an older driver, would you happen to know if (or how) I need to uninstall the current up-to-date one?

I called the manufacture and that's not far off from what they said; they recommended an RMA.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I could try an older driver, would you happen to know if (or how) I need to uninstall the current up-to-date one?

I called the manufacture and that's not far off from what they said; they recommended an RMA.
Use DDU to uninstall the old driver just to be sure there are no lingering software malfunctions.

If the manufacturer recommends an RMA, then do so if the other solution doesn't work.

Sep 23, 2021
Use DDU to uninstall the old driver just to be sure there are no lingering software malfunctions.

If the manufacturer recommends an RMA, then do so if the other solution doesn't work.

I appreciate your help and quick responses :)

I'll give the driver thing a shot but will probably just go through with the RMA as backdating to an old driver just kinda feels like a temporary fix.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 26, 2021
theres a setting on afterburner that will synchronize the fan speeds did you make sure to check that and turn it on or off to see if that solves it? when it is off it allows you to set the fan curve for each fan independently and you get two graphs on the profile screen in the AB settings. But be sure and check that before anything like RMAor what not