[SOLVED] Under Construction (Need some guidance)

Aug 21, 2019
Hello all,

I took the template from the sticky and basically have my build nearly laid out, just need a couple months to get all the money together. Currently I only have the case, boot and main drives. I do have some questions though before making the final purchases. I'm still not sure which video card is best. I recently saw a Jayztwocents video stating that SLI was basically dead. That is disappointing as I was hoping for a dual card build, but if at FTW 2080 TI is cheaper and does the same I will get that instead of 2 2080's. However, while I am willing to lay out that kind of money I am wondering if there is a card that run 122 fps, 122mhz on the monitor I am upgrading to. Also, I am not sure how many fans I need in this build, I am thinking 7 total unless I should mount 2 on the bottom for a total of 9. Which I was planning on being two radiators with fans, but again still unsure where to go regarding GPU's.

Approximate Purchase Date: Halloween is when I will have all the parts to assemble.

Budget Range: $2500 - Minus the $300 I have spend on case and storage drives.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Maybe not 1% gaming but I will settle for top 10%

Are you buying a monitor: Yes Alienware 1900 R - After build completion, currently have a 32 inch 1080p Ben Q.

Parts to Upgrade: Entire new build.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, and I know keys are cheap and not illegal but is there a subscription I can pay for like office versus a one time fee?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon Prime, I bought my case on Newegg but forgot all about shipping and it probably would have been cheaper on Amazon.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU is really all I am picky about.

Overclocking: Maybe - I saw a video of how simple it is to OC the I9 9900k to 4.7 using the MSI biosbut I'm just going to 4.7 not looking to do anything crazy on my first build. I'll go nuts for version 2.0 when I go custom cooling.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440p

Additional Comments: No additional comments but just going to put what I have planned and if you guys see something that will be overkill (PSU if I only get 1 video card after all) I would love to save cash where possible. Not cheap, but I don't want to pay for 250 extra watts I won't use for example.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Dying gaming laptop.

Case: Thermaltake 71 - Purchased.
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 256GB - Purchased.
Intel 660p 1 TB - Purchased.

Have no purchased the following:

PSU:
Corsair AX1000 (Too much for 1 or should I get 2 GPU's?)
Fans: Corsair HD 120mm (7 or 9, how many should I get counting replacing radiator fans on cooler)
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz
CPU: Intel i9-9900k (I know AMD is cheaper but Intel still has about 10% or so on most games in terms of framerate from benchmarks, I don't want to drop below 120, ever, I think Intel takes it for me.)
CPU Cooler: Kraken x72 360mm
GPU: Unusre, this is my main question here. I am willing to pay for a 2080 TI, FTW Hybrid addition if its enough for the resoultion I want to play at. But, if I can get 50% extra performance from 2 GPU's ,for about $300 extra from the cost a TI, I am willing to do that. Anyway, I hope I put this in the right section if not, feel free to move it.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU: Corsair AX1000 (Too much for 1 or should I get 2 GPU's?)
waste of money. very good psu but neiter will you need 1000W, nor is a AXi a unit that makes a lot of sense unless you're a real enthusiast nor are 2GPU-setups viable. When you want a quiet decent PSU, go for a Corsair RMx. 650W should be easily enough.

Fans: Corsair HD 120mm (7 or 9, how many should I get counting replacing radiator fans on cooler)
depends on whether you want to do push/pull or not. but afaik the fans on the Kraken x72 are already rgb?

go 2x16. much easier to run for the controller.

CPU: Intel i9-9900k (I know AMD is cheaper but Intel still has about 10% or...
PSU: Corsair AX1000 (Too much for 1 or should I get 2 GPU's?)
waste of money. very good psu but neiter will you need 1000W, nor is a AXi a unit that makes a lot of sense unless you're a real enthusiast nor are 2GPU-setups viable. When you want a quiet decent PSU, go for a Corsair RMx. 650W should be easily enough.

depends on whether you want to do push/pull or not. but afaik the fans on the Kraken x72 are already rgb?

CPU: Intel i9-9900k (I know AMD is cheaper but Intel still has about 10% or so on most games in terms of framerate from benchmarks, I don't want to drop below 120, ever, I think Intel takes it for me.)
check 1440p & 4k benchmarks. at 3440x1440 the weak spot is always the GPU. I don't see the benefit in going for the i9 over the 3700X. but of course, it's your money, do as you please with it

CPU Cooler: Kraken x72 360mm
overpriced imho. but as far as CLCs go, a decent cooler.

GPU: Unusre, this is my main question here. I am willing to pay for a 2080 TI, FTW Hybrid addition if its enough for the resoultion I want to play at. But, if I can get 50% extra performance from 2 GPU's ,for about $300 extra from the cost a TI, I am willing to do that. Anyway, I hope I put this in the right section if not, feel free to move it.
SLI is dead. it scales fairly well in some games, but 50% extra is like not the norm. mostly it's less when it's even supported. a single 2080Ti is your best bet.

Reactions: Inkedsleeve
Solution
Aug 21, 2019

check 1440p & 4k benchmarks. at 3440x1440 the weak spot is always the GPU. I don't see the benefit in going for the i9 over the 3700X. but of course, it's your money, do as you please with it

overpriced imho. but as far as CLCs go, a decent cooler.

SLI is dead. it scales fairly well in some games, but 50% extra is like not the norm. mostly it's less when it's even supported. a single 2080Ti is your best bet.

Thank you so much, especially on the power supply and GPU advice. Saves me a nice amount on the PSU unit, always a plus. I'm assuming by controller you meant space for it, (reference to RAM) I know there are some tight fits but it appears I could make it work based off my motherboard and I just prefer the RGB look with 4 of them as opposed to two. I know RGB is a puke fest for most, even me, but some of the effects in a solid color do appeal to me this is one of those times.

no. I don't mean space. you put your RAM into the slots. that's physical.
but addressing and managing the RAM isn't done by the physical slot but by a control chip. that chip was part of the northbridge that got integrated into the CPU. anyway, 4 sticks are much more work to control for that chip and thus often result in lower speeds for the RAM.
but when you prefer looks it's fine. just saying, you won't max out RAM speed with 4 sticks in most boards.

Reactions: Inkedsleeve