Question Underclocking an AMD 5900X

Jun 8, 2024
Hello, I've had my 5900X for a whille now and I'm happy with its capabilities. However, the CPU keeps fairly high temps while idle or not doing much and thus. This is very uncomfortable to me since most of my day passes in work using remote desktops and I only load the CPU (either for work or games) in my free time.

I know that it's better to do this kind of work in the BIOS, however, I prefere the dynamic nature of doing it in Windows, especially when I'm not trying to overclock anything. For this sort of work, I'm currently using ASUS ROG's AI Suite 3, as my MB is from ASUS.

I have 2 built-in profiles - the default one where the CPU frequency is dynamic in range 3.7-4.8GHz, and another one fixed at 4.2GHz that I mostly use as it's quieter and cooler and I rarely need the extra power.

I have no experience at all in the field of Over/Underclocking and I need some help with a solution for a stable profile that I can use for my daily needs (remote desktop, youtube videos, browsing, etc). I tried searching for one on the web but couldnt find anything.

Can anyone help me with this? Maybe at least point me to something or give me a link if they know of a place where I can find such profiles?

a39232

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
Well its usually a better option to do this in the BIOS because there is a high possibility if it shutting down since you would be manually adjusting voltage and clock speed. That and those chips are designed to boost as high as possible as long as it doesn't hit the power or thermal limit.
But essentially you would use whatever setting to keep the clocks the same speed and then lower the voltage and testing to see where its stable.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Jun 8, 2024
Thanks for answering!

Honestly, I don't really care about the clock speeds. I'm just looking for a hot switch between "power" mode and "office computer" mode without needing to actually buy an office computer.

The way you say it sounds very easy. However, when I get into the BIOS there are possibly 100+ settings for all kinds of controls that I don't really understand. Thant's another reason I prefere doing this in the AI Suite app. However, the settings in the app are extremely limited and I'm not even sure if what I'm trying to achieve is even possible there.