Question Underperformance in 3DMark

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Btn7tn

Hello everyone. I recently ran the CPU Profile benchmark in 3DMark and got the following result: https://www.3dmark.com/cpu/1178639

I scored in the bottom 30% for systems with the same CPU. Are there other system component(s) that can help close this gap? The CPU is 2 months old, as I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600. Some of the top results are from users who also have a B450M motherboard, but I have noticed a discrepancy in how much RAM most of the people in the top 100 have...I am at 16 GB of DDR4-3200, while a majority are at 32 GB of DDR4 or better. Is it possible for the RAM or motherboard to be impacting my CPU's performance? Thank you in advance.

Solution
No. This test is not RAM capacity dependent.

What you're seeing is a problem with statistics. "Average" doesn't necessarily mean expected. If you look at the graph of scores for the 5700X (you can look this up on their search), you'll see most of the scores actually land around 6500:
uLaSuPD.png

The other bump is likely just overclockers hoping to make the front page on 3DMark's result page.

So you're well within expectations of this processor's performance.

EDIT: "Your best score" is reflecting my 5600X. So that's expected to be lower.

What you're seeing is a problem with statistics. "Average" doesn't necessarily mean expected. If you look at the graph of scores for the 5700X (you can look this up on their search), you'll see most of the scores actually land around 6500:
uLaSuPD.png

The other bump is likely just overclockers hoping to make the front page on 3DMark's result page.

Solution

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017

uLaSuPD.png

Thank you for this. Since you mentioned expected performance, aside from the peak of the score range, what are some other ways for me to gauge whether I'm getting advertised performance?

Thank you for this. Since you mentioned expected performance, aside from the peak of the score range, what are some other ways for me to gauge whether I'm getting advertised performance?
Find some reviews of your processor and run the same non-gaming benchmarks they've ran. Though realistically the only one you'll find plenty of data on that you can easily get is CineBench R23 or if you trust it, GeekBench 3.

Last edited: