Question Underperforming 3080

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
Hello. I have a 3080 FE paired with a 3800x at 1440p, I have watched gaming benchmarks on YouTube of people using the same combo and in every game they have tested that I have Im getting lower fps. For example, when they run GTA 5 they are getting 130-140fps where as I'm getting 80-110fps. In Hitman 2 they are getting 130-200+fps and I'm only getting 100fps. also my CPU usage seems to be higher than theirs. This is also similar for Call of Duty. My 3080 is preforming worse than a 2080ti. This is not what I was expecting. I've tried doing a fresh install of windows and reinstalling all drivers, unplugging the GPU and plugging it back in, checking the power cables are connected correctly. Please any help would be highly appreciated, I don't know what to do. Could this be a faulty card?

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
Ryzen 3800x Stock
3080 FE Stock
32gb 3200mhz Ram
Nzxt Kraken X73 Cooler
500gb NVME
RM850 PSU

Posted benchmarks/gaming FPS are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

Please run a Userbenchmark after a fresh boot and 5 mins of sitting at a blank desktop and post a link to the results.

Reactions: coneil3822

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
Agree it would be good to see userbenchmark results. I have a similar setup and it performs brilliantly at 1440p, 3700x with PBO, 2x16gb 3200mhz (OC'd to 3600mhx CL16) and a 3080.
Posted benchmarks/gaming FPS are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

Please run a Userbenchmark after a fresh boot and 5 mins of sitting at a blank desktop and post a link to the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34567612

I like to see a relative performance above 50%. With that in mind your RTX 3080 and 860 QVO are a little low. Run the Samsung drive tools to check the health of that drive. Also, run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) in the background, while you game (and get lower performance than expected) and upload the log file somewhere where we can grab it and take a look. Game for at least 30 mins.

One last thing to note, some graphics card settings, like Texture filtering, will affect performance. These youtube videos may have the settings specifically turned down to try and get higher FPS. The same goes for in-game settings.

Reactions: coneil3822

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
I like to see a relative performance above 50%. With that in mind your RTX 3080 and 860 QVO are a little low. Run the Samsung drive tools to check the health of that drive. Also, run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) in the background, while you game (and get lower performance than expected) and upload the log file somewhere where we can grab it and take a look. Game for at least 30 mins.

One last thing to note, some graphics card settings, like Texture filtering, will affect performance. These youtube videos may have the settings specifically turned down to try and get higher FPS. The same goes for in-game settings.
SSD Benchmarks: View: https://imgur.com/a/2FjRodN

860 QVO Scan: View: https://imgur.com/a/XB7JQTx

I will upload the log file a little later today. Thank you so much for your time guys you're helping me out so much.

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019

Here is the HWiNFO64 Log. I was playing COD Warzone for half an hour. I get less fps in this game than other people for no reason, also gpu usage constantly fluctuates.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApQnTwgmpljbhzhPL9pQ1B0GjrLB?e=MWVXFh

I'm not sure. It may require a vbios flash. You can easily kill your card by flashing an incorrect/corrupt bios so I wouldn't recommend it.

It doesn't look like your card likes going higher than 74C. Anyway you can keep it cooler? How is your case airflow?

Maybe someone else more familiar with RTX 3080 adjustments can chime in and offer more advice.

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
I'm not sure. It may require a vbios flash. You can easily kill your card by flashing an incorrect/corrupt bios so I wouldn't recommend it.

It doesn't look like your card likes going higher than 74C. Anyway you can keep it cooler? How is your case airflow?

Maybe someone else more familiar with RTX 3080 adjustments can chime in and offer more advice.
Ive got a lian li o11d, 6 intake fans 3 exaust.
The fans are right below the GPU so i dont understand why the card is getting so hot