[SOLVED] Underperforming gaming PC

Mar 11, 2019
I've been having really underwhelming results from my pc for the past few months. I've tried everything from reinstalling windows (twice), to downloading every diagnostic and benchmarking tool I could find. Still no luck solving my issues.

My PC components are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8gb)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W

Here's a benchmark I did: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14896892

In games like Black Ops 4 I'll get an average of 60fps on the lowest settings.
In games like rocket league, I'll get a consistent low-mid 200s fps BUT it will jitter a lot and I'll have frequent frame drops.
In games like GTA 5, I'll get adequate frames, but I wont be able to render a lot of stuff. Also I get a lot of jitters in GTA too. Here's an example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATdeCpOcZI
(black screen flashes are what I see but it's just a freezeframe of last frame for me)

If anyone has any recommendations or anything that can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to ask questions

Solution
Thanks for your reply. Would it be better for me to just get a different motherboard and a new CPU? (be that AMD or intel). i7s seem really expensive right now and AMD's ryzen 5s and intel's 8th/9th gen i5s seem like viable options.
It would be possible to use the same RAM, but as far as buying a new motherboard AND a new CPU, that is going to put you near i7 prices anyways, so that is up to you. You can probably save a few dollars going with an 8th or 9th gen Intel and new 300 series motherboard or Ryzen and a 400 series motherboard. If you are looking to spend as little as possible, I'd recommend going with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a B450 motherboard. This should run you about $250 or so, which is a fair bit cheaper than an i7 for...
Check your cpu usage when gaming, I'm betting its 100% as the 6500 is a poor match for a 1080. Putting settings on low puts less strain on the gpu and more on the cpu, so increase graphic settings, it might help, it might not.
Perhaps change the priority of the games to high if it isn't already in task manager.

Maybe change the render scale of your monitor to 2k or 4k in the nvidia control panel, if the monitor can handle it.

Last edited:
From your UserBenchmark it looks like your CPU is holding back the GTX 1080. It also looks like you don't have your RAM configured properly. Consult your motherboard manual for proper configuration for using your RAM in dual channel mode, then check to see that your RAM speed settings are right in your BIOS.

You aren't going to be able to claw any more performance out of your GTX 1080 until you get a better CPU. I'd start looking for an i7 in the 6th or 7th gen. It doesn't even have to be a K model. The extra threads will be of great help.

Mar 11, 2019
Check your cpu usage when gaming, I'm betting its 100% as the 6500 is a poor match for a 1080. Putting settings on low puts less strain on the gpu and more on the cpu, so increase graphic settings, it might help, it might not.
Perhaps change the priority of the games to high if it isn't already in task manager.

Maybe change the render scale of your monitor to 2k or 4k in the nvidia control panel, if the monitor can handle it.

Yep, my CPU is always at 100% pretty much regardless of what game I am playing. Increasing my graphic settings didnt do much except give me worse frames. Putting my games on high priority gave me a little bit of an FPS boost but it still jittered quite a bit. My monitor can't handle 4k. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, a gtx 1070 is pretty much the max I'd use with a 6500. The only think you can really do is either downgrade the gpu(who does that) or upgrade the cpu, but alas, a 6700 or 7700 haven't depreciated and cost ~$250+, at that point, i'd opt for a new platform and transfer over the ram and gpu.

Idk, if you got what i meant, but if you go into nvidia control panel, one can put in a custom resolution that may work, I was able to make my 1080p monitor render at 2560x1440p, but my gpu is weak, so not needed.

Mar 11, 2019
From your UserBenchmark it looks like your CPU is holding back the GTX 1080. It also looks like you don't have your RAM configured properly. Consult your motherboard manual for proper configuration for using your RAM in dual channel mode, then check to see that your RAM speed settings are right in your BIOS.

You aren't going to be able to claw any more performance out of your GTX 1080 until you get a better CPU. I'd start looking for an i7 in the 6th or 7th gen. It doesn't even have to be a K model. The extra threads will be of great help.

Thanks for your reply. Would it be better for me to just get a different motherboard and a new CPU? (be that AMD or intel). i7s seem really expensive right now and AMD's ryzen 5s and intel's 8th/9th gen i5s seem like viable options.

It would be possible to use the same RAM, but as far as buying a new motherboard AND a new CPU, that is going to put you near i7 prices anyways, so that is up to you. You can probably save a few dollars going with an 8th or 9th gen Intel and new 300 series motherboard or Ryzen and a 400 series motherboard. If you are looking to spend as little as possible, I'd recommend going with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a B450 motherboard. This should run you about $250 or so, which is a fair bit cheaper than an i7 for your platform. If you want to stick with Intel check out the i5 8400 and a good mid range board... I can't recommend a motherboard because I can't keep Intel's dumb board designations straight in my head.

Solution
As of right now I've got 2 8Gb sticks of 2666MHz
You could run a Ryzen system with 2666, but you'd be leaving 5%-8% performance on the table. It wouldn't perform badly, but you wouldn't be getting all the CPU has to give. Intel is more forgiving with RAM speeds not impacting performance as much, but AMD is still a good value proposition... especially if you wanted to upgrade to the Ryzen 3rd gen when they release later this year (or sometime after)... and from the things we've seen the Ryzen 3rd gen won't be held back by lower speed RAM so your RAM speed wouldn't matter at that point.