Question underperforming intel i5 cpu

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I do have a i5-12400F that is only around 1 year old now on a GIGABYTE B660M DS3H DDR4 mobo with 32gigs of corsair ddr4 3600mhz ram and with a 1660S gpu. I just did add 2x8 gigs of ram to make it 4x8gb and just wanted to make a few benchmarks and find out that the 'userbenchmark' score tells me that my cpu is really underperforming. It says it is on the 2nd percentile which sounds like my cpu is dying or running on a high energy saving type of mode. My power plan is high performance, didn't see anything wrong on the BIOS, Intel turbo boost works as it is intended i believe since all of those settings are set to 'auto' on bios.

So I really don't know what to look for here. I am using a Noctua NH-U12S redux as cpu fan, my case (cooler master mb511) has 3 intake and 3 exhaust cooler master fans so I have no problem with airflow or high temperatures since CPU only saw around 50 degrees celsius at max while doing this test. If you can recommend me of some other CPU focused benchmarks I can also try them out to see if my CPU is performing really that bad. Here are some of the other details I got for my cpu from the userbenchmark test;

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61236022

Userbenchmark is worthless.

While running a consistent load like Prime95 (with no AVX):
  1. Are your CPU temps under 80C?
  2. Are your CPU cores running at expected frequency (4GHz - 4.4GHz)?
If yes to both above, then you're fine.

What makes you think it is underperforming?
Does it struggle with software you run?
Is your performance worse than what other people report?
Anything besides a single, biased synthetic benchmark that says there are issues?

If there isn't anything else besides userbenchmark claiming your 12400F is worse than most other 12400F, then there isn't any issue.
I bet if you redo the benchmark, the result will be different.

Even better, do a fresh restart, wait 10 minutes (to let Windows do it's background stuff), then run the benchmarks 3 times (to have stuff already cached) and see what the 3rd run says. I bet it will be significantly better than doing a run after using the system for a month without restart.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Userbenchmark is worthless.

While running a consistent load like Prime95 (with no AVX):
  1. Are your CPU temps under 80C?
  2. Are your CPU cores running at expected frequency (4GHz - 4.4GHz)?
If yes to both above, then you're fine.
Probably yes, didn't pass any more than 64 celsius after around 5 minutes of torture test. It worked at 4GhZ across all cores for that time, is it correct or can it go higher for an 12400f?

What makes you think it is underperforming?
Does it struggle with software you run?
Is your performance worse than what other people report?
Anything besides a single, biased synthetic benchmark that says there are issues?

If there isn't anything else besides userbenchmark claiming your 12400F is worse than most other 12400F, then there isn't any issue.
I bet if you redo the benchmark, the result will be different.

Even better, do a fresh restart, wait 10 minutes (to let Windows do it's background stuff), then run the benchmarks 3 times (to have stuff already cached) and see what the 3rd run says. I bet it will be significantly better than doing a run after using the system for a month without restart.
This benchmark maked me think it is underperforming, didn't really feel a big struggle but some of the games does hurt in performance surely. So, no other issues or anything but, if there is something like 10%-15% less performance which is caused by maybe a setting or anything else could not be caught very easily anyways can it? I did run this test 4 times and this was the last of them which I have shared.

@berbat88
Run Cinebench R23 so you can compare your score to others. Watch the CPU speed with HWiNFO while this test is running. Is the CPU running at its full rated speed? If it is not, use HWiNFO to find out the reason for throttling. If you see power limit throttling, this is normal. I would increase the turbo power limits in the BIOS to prevent this from happening.

I do have a i5-12400F that is only around 1 year old now on a GIGABYTE B660M DS3H DDR4 mobo with 32gigs of corsair ddr4 3600mhz ram and with a 1660S gpu. I just did add 2x8 gigs of ram to make it 4x8gb and just wanted to make a few benchmarks and find out that the 'userbenchmark' score tells me that my cpu is really underperforming. It says it is on the 2nd percentile which sounds like my cpu is dying or running on a high energy saving type of mode. My power plan is high performance, didn't see anything wrong on the BIOS, Intel turbo boost works as it is intended i believe since all of those settings are set to 'auto' on bios.

So I really don't know what to look for here. I am using a Noctua NH-U12S redux as cpu fan, my case (cooler master mb511) has 3 intake and 3 exhaust cooler master fans so I have no problem with airflow or high temperatures since CPU only saw around 50 degrees celsius at max while doing this test. If you can recommend me of some other CPU focused benchmarks I can also try them out to see if my CPU is performing really that bad. Here are some of the other details I got for my cpu from the userbenchmark test;

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61236022
You might want to update the bios and also the chipset driver if it is old then retest.

Probably yes, didn't pass any more than 64 celsius after around 5 minutes of torture test. It worked at 4GhZ across all cores for that time, is it correct or can it go higher for an 12400f?
i5-12400F has a peak boost frequency of 4.4GHz, but that's only going to happen when 1 core is loaded. Couple cores loaded going to be 4.3GHz, add 1 or 2 more cores = 4.2GHz, etc etc until the all-core load frequency. This is typical of all modern AMD/Intel CPUs.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
i5-12400F has a peak boost frequency of 4.4GHz, but that's only going to happen when 1 core is loaded. Couple cores loaded going to be 4.3GHz, add 1 or 2 more cores = 4.2GHz, etc etc until the all-core load frequency. This is typical of all modern AMD/Intel CPUs.
I am getting 4GhZ at all cores, couldn't find an official source stating it is the max but I guess it is?

HWiNFO can show you the maximum turbo ratios. 4 GHz all core sounds about right.

Check if Intel Undervolt Protection is enabled in the BIOS. This new feature can kill CPU performance. The CPU can report maximum frequency when internally it can be severely throttling. Use Cinebench to confirm if you have this problem. Post your score.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I did make a Cinebench r23 test and my score was only 50 points below the i5 12400f. Souns about right i guess?