[SOLVED] Underperforming Prebuild from NZXT

Oct 28, 2021
Hi y'all!

I bought the following prebuild from NZXT like 2 years ago.
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock Z390 Pro4
GPU(GRAPHICS) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - ZOTAC Twin Fan
CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7 GHz
RAM - Team T-FORCE Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz
MONITORS - MSI Optix MAG271CQR 27" Curved 1440p 144Hz FreeSync Monitor
PSU - Tried to upload photo but having troubles, the gist I can get is its a "EVGA Supernova 750P2" (750W Platinum rated)

A few weeks after getting it I was playing some games and heard a low pop come from the PC and my lights went out lol. Long story short the crappy PSU it came with blew out and I got it replaced at a local PC shop (only mentioning this because maybe this caused some damage elsewhere despite what the guy at the shop said?)

Anyways, I usually play low demanding games like classic WoW and indie steam games, I first noticed problems when I started playing Valheim. My gaming laptop would get much better frame rates than my desktop despite the desktop being much more powerful. I figured it was just some coding optimization issues since Valheim was still in beta or whatever. But now I've been trying to play New World and despite seeing online that the same GPU / similar builds are getting 120+ frames I'm a bit concerned since I'm maxing around 60-70 out in the world and anywhere from 10-40 in cities. The monitor I got with the deal seems very fancy and I'm also semi-worried this may be causing some of the lag if its misconfigured, but it also runs slow on my crappier monitor.

Here's the benchmark I ran, it surprisingly said the CPU is underperforming so maybe that's my issue? But I thought high graphics games were more GPU dependent shrug
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47423877

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I bought this thinking I'd have a high end gaming PC only to be let down any time I try to run something pretty!
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: yvblake
Solution
I would expect a pretty steady 60-80fps, depending on the game, with a good mix of medium-ultra settings in most newer AAA games at this resolution.
dropping to less than 30 really shouldn't be happening.

there's a good chance the 8700K may be holding you back due to some unoptimized BIOS settings.

look up some overclocking recommendations for this CPU & motherboard brand.
I would expect a pretty steady 60-80fps, depending on the game, with a good mix of medium-ultra settings in most newer AAA games at this resolution.
dropping to less than 30 really shouldn't be happening.

there's a good chance the 8700K may be holding you back due to some unoptimized BIOS settings.

look up some overclocking recommendations for this CPU & motherboard brand.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS