[SOLVED] Underperforming retro PC

szogyenyi

Reputable
Feb 10, 2019
Hello. I've recently built a retro PC for playing some older games back from the Win98/ME era. The rig has the following components:

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
AMD Sepron 2600
2x256 MB DDR RAM (400 MHz)
An 64MB ATI Radeon 7000 VGA, running on a 4x AGP Slot

I know, installing a Windows ME wasn't the wisest choice, but since that was the only way to use my USB 2.0 ports, i really had no other choice. (and also, that was my first OS so it's kind of nostalgic for me) But many of the games seems to struggle on this PC. RtCW and Vixe City also has some horrible frame drops around 20-15 FPS and i don't understand what can cause the issue. Yesterday i just installed the latest legacy driver for the VGA but nothing has changed. Do you have any idea what i did wrong or which component should i replace? Maybe this card does not work well with this and older operating systems?

Solution
Where is a problem to install chipset drivers in Win98? Yes, a little catch - you need a floppy drive to get driver installation into that PC. Then get them :) Hint: You should still be able to find old office PCs with 3.5" floppy drives around. Borrow one.

szogyenyi

Reputable
Feb 10, 2019
Better stick to Win98 SE then. It is less buggy Windows from 98/Me line. USB ports are working in it just fine.

The problem is they don't, unless i install some third party program which enables USB 2.0. There is no way i can use it otherwise which means i can't install the drivers to the PC. This is why i stick with WinME at the moment.

Where is a problem to install chipset drivers in Win98? Yes, a little catch - you need a floppy drive to get driver installation into that PC. Then get them :) Hint: You should still be able to find old office PCs with 3.5" floppy drives around. Borrow one.

Solution