[SOLVED] Understanding CPUs at the same level I understand Car engines?

Nov 21, 2020
Is there any book or video or some guide I can use to understand the fundamental way that CPUs work at a level that is as simple as the understanding behind the fundamental concepts behind an internal combustion engine? What I mean is that I understand the 4 stroke cycle, how the valves all work together and how the timing and crankshaft work, advancing and retarding timing. All of these concepts are pretty easy to me.
But when I try to understand processors it gets very confusing so quickly. Is there any way I can understand it better?

Solution
the problem understanding cpus that way is that, they are micro, actually nano sized stuff.

The processor basically runs on what's called a transistor (which you can learn more about in wikipedia if you want)
The more transistors, the more performance, but also the more heat and power consumption.
You can reduce the heat and power consumption by making them smaller, which is what the NanoMeter or NM for short means in what's called the "node size"
Intel currently produces chips at 14nm, Amd in 7nm, and apple in 5nm, but smaller NM doesn't mean strictly better perfomance, what REALLY matters is the transistor density, but sadly, there isn't a very good way to measure it, or atleast not a way that is advertised.
A smaller node can either...
the problem understanding cpus that way is that, they are micro, actually nano sized stuff.

The processor basically runs on what's called a transistor (which you can learn more about in wikipedia if you want)
The more transistors, the more performance, but also the more heat and power consumption.
You can reduce the heat and power consumption by making them smaller, which is what the NanoMeter or NM for short means in what's called the "node size"
Intel currently produces chips at 14nm, Amd in 7nm, and apple in 5nm, but smaller NM doesn't mean strictly better perfomance, what REALLY matters is the transistor density, but sadly, there isn't a very good way to measure it, or atleast not a way that is advertised.
A smaller node can either increase performance, reduce power consumption and heat, or all of the above.
Sometimes a smaller node is just a modified version of a larger one, like what amd did using TSMC's 14nm, and 12nm. the 12nm that was used for ryzen 2000 and the rx 590 is the same as 14nm, just with better stability on higher clocks, and overall slightly better results, but nothing above 5%.
another example is samsung's 8nm, that Nvidia uses, which is actually TSMC's 10nm, adapted to be smaller, and a little faster, but it's power consumption is not great, yields aren't great either.
Yields is actually something important too
The yield of a node is how many defects there are in a wafer. Cpus, or any processor/silicon chip is produced on what's called wafers, which are basically a circle, that is then cut up into cpus. The reason cpus are not larger than a a fingernail at best, is because the bigger you go, the less cpu's you have on a wafer, making yields lower.

Cpus are made of silicone btw.

pretty sure this explanation isn't really what you asked for, but if you really want to learn about it more, read wikipedia pages about cpus, and transisors, manufacturing nodes and silicone.

Solution

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Interesting question....I'll take a stab.

CPU clock speed = horsepower
IPC (instructions per cycle) = torque
Overclocking = 'chipping' or using a tuner to modify the curves (timing, fuel injection parameters, etc) for performance versus economy
High performance cooling (air or AIO) = headers or better air filters - enables the CPU to generate more power (and control added heat)
Cache & turbo boost = short-term nitro boost
Cores = gear ratio (more cores = low gear ratio for grunt pulling power; fewer cores = high gear ratio for light loads at high speed

The above is mostly CPU/Engine related except cores.

I/O - hard drive, SSD, NVMe = transmission.

The CPU basically gets input data & instructions, performs work and outputs the result like an engine taking in air/fuel, burning it generating power and heat as output.

To get deeper in to CPU inner workings gets complicated rather quickly...

Reactions: jamespromiii

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Guess it depends on the level of simplicity you want to apply. Cpu = car. Intel = Chevrolet, AMD = Dodge. Cores = cylinders, Cooling (especially aios) = cooling, 3 or 4 core rads etc. Clock speeds = HP. TDP = torque.

Can go all day making comparisons to automotive, but essentially you'd need to do as suggested and wiki/Google everything because just like cars, cpus are different, even if they have a similar concept. There's a considerable difference between 1000 series Ryzen with a monolithic die, like Intels, to the 2-3 die Ryzen 3000 series.

So you'll not get a relatively cut and dry explanation that's in layman's terms, as that'll only apply to chevys with a carburetor and not to chevys with tpi or even chevys with mpi and will really mess you up when dealing with hemi's with 16 sparkplugs.

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Interesting question....I'll take a stab.

CPU clock speed = horsepower
IPC (instructions per cycle) = torque
Overclocking = 'chipping' or using a tuner to modify the curves (timing, fuel injection parameters, etc) for performance versus economy
High performance cooling (air or AIO) = headers or better air filters - enables the CPU to generate more power (and control added heat)
Cache & turbo boost = short-term nitro boost
Cores = gear ratio (more cores = low gear ratio for grunt pulling power; fewer cores = high gear ratio for light loads at high speed

The above is mostly CPU/Engine related except cores.

I/O - hard drive, SSD, NVMe = transmission.

The CPU basically gets input data & instructions, performs work and outputs the result like an engine taking in air/fuel, burning it generating power and heat as output.

To get deeper in to CPU inner workings gets complicated rather quickly...

This is prolly as good as your gonna get as far as making a comparison.

Nov 21, 2020
@ thank you all for your response.

TRENDING THREADS