[SOLVED] Understanding GPU basics...

Daksh Yadav

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
hello friends...

Currently I am using a 5 years old Laptop with 1080p screen. It has i7 processor 4 core with intel hd graphic card and separate dedicated NVidia GT740M. I don’t play games but I use my laptop pc a lot for internet browsing, MS office, light photo and video editing for personal use, movies, music etc but never for gaming. recently i discovered my card selected was intel hd graphic card and i have never used NVidia for the last 5 years that made me believe that dedicated card is just for gamers.

Now I bought a new camera that shoots 4k and above videos. Now these videos obviously as my lap is 1080p I can’t see 4k, but it hangs and stocks a lot while playing vlc player. also, if I try to edit it in adobe premiere pro. it hangs and freezes very very bad and i couldn’t edit and video decoding takes ages. i try to change between my 2 graphic cards but no use. also when i see the task manager when i play 4k video. suddenly my cpu is being used 80% and graphic card just 10%. so I concluded it's happening because my both gpu’s are outdated that’s why this is happening because of compatibility issues.

That brings me to 1st question. that am I right??

Now I want to assemble a new pc to overcome my new requirements with a new 4k monitor.

2nd questions - what all pc hardware (type of gpu and HDMI) and software (including windows and player) requirements for playing and editing 4k videos. also visualising my desktop in 4k, browsing in 4k, using MS office in 4k resolution etc?

3rd question - i am guessing CPU, ram, SSD do not influence 4k rendering. an i right? or they need to be accordingly too? (I am planning ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gb ram, 1tb SSD).

4th question - on desktop -display settings. it maximum goes to 1080p. when i buy a GPU 4k compatible will 4k option will come here automatically or windows support maximum 1080p or other thing is required?

plz guys help out as it’s my 1st pc assembly. I want to buy the best product for my needs but I don’t want to spend for something that I don't need. For example I want to buy a gpu costing lakhs of inr and I don’t even play games. so advise accordingly.

thank you

Solution
1. The more pixel it needs to display, the higher the usage for both CPU and GPU.

2.a Your future 4K monitor will come with a display port, use that instead of HDMI.
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming
2.b Requirements are going to be expensive.

3.a Wrong. All of those matter.
3.b 3700X would be ok. Personally I'd suggest 3900X though to leave room for your other apps. AND 32GB RAM MINIMUM. If anything, I'd say get 64GB RAM assuming you're going to work with VFX

4. Yes. Win10 will detect it.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
1. The more pixel it needs to display, the higher the usage for both CPU and GPU.

2.a Your future 4K monitor will come with a display port, use that instead of HDMI.
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming
2.b Requirements are going to be expensive.

3.a Wrong. All of those matter.
3.b 3700X would be ok. Personally I'd suggest 3900X though to leave room for your other apps. AND 32GB RAM MINIMUM. If anything, I'd say get 64GB RAM assuming you're going to work with VFX

4. Yes. Win10 will detect it.

Solution

Daksh Yadav

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
what's the least model (not a overkill) of gpu ( amd and nvidia each); i will be needing for my requirements (i.e. 4k monitor, using window and other programs(like office) in 4k, watching movies in 4k , editing by adobe premiere pro (not professionally) ; not gaming ) ???

would gtx 1660 be enough?

Last edited:

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GmtKWb

Here you go!
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste ($8.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600 W ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $990.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 13:48 EDT-0400

Reactions: Barry Cupas