Understanding the AMD processor sockets, CPU-Motherboard compatibility and what will fit

Feb 10, 2019
I'm sure this topic has been covered elsewhere on the forum but I'm new here so I thought i'd just ask.

I have an older HP laptop that I would like to replace the processor and upgrade it so it runs a little faster. I realize the performance gain will be minimal by doing this but I have my reasons. One is that used dated processors are quite cheap and second, this lap top is to be donated to a children's home for special needs kids.

So here's my dilemma. The system has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 1.8ghz processor running at 35 watts and from what research I've done the socket is called the S1 (S1-G1) socket but there seems to be a rather substantial number of CPU's that will fit. What I'm trying to figure out is what units will specifically work in this system because apparently there are very subtle differences in these types of CPU's that I just don't understand.

Depending upon which web site you go to there seems to be very confusing information about what CPU will work on what mainboard and such. I just need help wading through an overload of info to get the right chip upgrade and save myself some headaches. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
How installing an SSD can make your computer faster, doesn’t really change the fact that it’s old enough of a system that a SSD won’t give the system that much of a performance boost, in my opinion it’s a better idea to buy a new laptop, as that one is quite old. But if you want to upgrade the cpu just refer to my first post.

If you don't understand how an SSD can unlock the full potential of his machine, I am not going into it. Research it on the Web.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
Trust me I understand how a SSD works... I have 3 of them, and an m.2 nvme drive as well. Assuming the laptop only has 1 drive bay, he may not be looking to spend 150-200$ on a large SSD, to completely replace the hard drive it has.

Its a 14 year old computer, why would it cost 150-200$ for an SSD?
I think you don't know your computers that well.

SSD - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NHX2FT/team-l5-lite-120gb-25-solid-state-drive-t2535t120g0c101 $20 will do you.

Feb 10, 2019
Ok, you guys really aren't helping much. I don't want to put in an SSD drive. I need help finding out which AMD processor will work in this laptop that now has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 1.8 MHz unit in it. I don't understand all the variations of the S1 socket because it's really confusing.