[SOLVED] Undervolt Ryzen 5 3600

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

I have Ryzen 5 3600 cpu temperatures hitting as high as 92c when rendering on Blender.
I was wondering if undervolting would lessen temperatures by lets say 5%? How much power would I loose?
I use after market Noctua low profile fan and do not intend to use water cooling solution ( already invested extra £50 on a new fan)
I have Silverstone 13 case with intake front 120mm and exhaust 92mm fan on the side.
Happy to hear your suggestions.

Solution
I just did a test undervolting cores. Results are big surprise.
Ryzen 3000 specifically behaves similarly to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus in that the automatic frequency boost algorithms are TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE.
The cooler it runs, the higher it's going to boost - to an extent - they obviously don't boost to infinity.

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Hi,

I have Ryzen 5 3600 cpu temperatures hitting as high as 92c when rendering on Blender.
I was wondering if undervolting would lessen temperatures by lets say 5%? How much power would I loose?
I use after market Noctua low profile fan and do not intend to use water cooling solution ( already invested extra £50 on a new fan)
I have Silverstone 13 case with intake front 120mm and exhaust 92mm fan on the side.
Happy to hear your suggestions.
You should get a better cooler but what are your voltages while using blender? If They are at auto They are probably too high.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
You should get a better cooler but what are your voltages while using blender? If They are at auto They are probably too high.
They are around 1.325. once temperatures reach 92c voltages slightly goes down. Yes I believe its on auto. I was wondering if I could cap it in any way?!
I monitor temps on Ryzen master.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
You should look at getting a better CPU cooler if you don't already have a 120mm tower cooler. Undervolting won't help much if you are pushing the CPU 100% for rendering.
I just did a test undervolting cores. Results are big surprise.

First test I ran blender rendering at default settings. System was withdrawing around 1.33-1,35V at it's peak. Surprisingly it was reaching 4050Mhz only ( default aims at 4200Mhz) . Average temperatures at 86C and peaking to 91C at the end of the render. Render time : 5m:08s

Second test I undervolted system with Ryzen Master in manual mode to 3900Mhz max. at 1.125V. Average temperatures at 74C and peaking at the end of render to 76C. Render time : 5m:16s

Third test I undervolted system with Ryzen Master in manual mode to 4000Mhz max. at 1.2V. Average temperatures at 76C and peaking at the end of render to 78C. Render time : 5m:11s

This test shows to me how negligible render time is and how big is the temperature difference. If my system stays stables for a week or so after rendering and playing games I am happy to stick to Ryzen Master undervolting.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Ryzen 3000 specifically behaves similarly to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus in that the automatic frequency boost algorithms are TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE.
The cooler it runs, the higher it's going to boost - to an extent - they obviously don't boost to infinity.
It seems to be the nature of Ryzen CPU's. They tend to run a little hotter and there for not the best option for small factor builds.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hotter than the Intel equivalent at idle; the Intel will actually run hotter at max load.
Users can cool a 3600, 3600X, and 3700X on a Hyper 212; that's a no-go on a 9700K though.
My idle temps are quote good just a little above Intel's . Around 36-38C when 10 chrome tabs opened watching YouTube, browsing. Anything above low profile aftermarket cooler is no for my case. Otherwise, as you suggest, proper air cooler or water cooling.