Question Undervolting and thermal paste replacement doesn't to the job?

littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Laptop: ASUS TP500LB

Graphics card: Nvidia GT940M

Processor: Intel i7 5500u

Thermal paste: Grizzly Kryonaut

So recently I've replaced the old thermal paste on both of my GPU&CPU (they were crusty and old) and undervolted my CPU because I've been getting a thermal throttle whenever I play games. They would reach up to 80°c to 87°c on average before the thermal paste replacement. After I changed the thermal paste, they only go up to 74°c max and around 70°c on average. Something I've noticed is that this happened only when I play games but when I stress test my CPU it would on go up to 65°c max. The temperature may seem normal but from what I read this is normal for laptops. I know that a thermal throttle is taking place because I use MSI Afterburner to check my GPU's clock speed when I play games. Once it reaches 70°c the clock speed would go down from around 1072Mhz to 600-800Mhz. Oh by the way I also turned off Intel turbo boost.

One thing to note from my laptop is that the internal fan is "broken". It still spins and all but the grey part that covers the top of the fan is gone (I snapped it off and now I lost it). The thing is that my laptop was still running fine after this (it happened roughly a year ago). Is it starting to act up now or is there other factors that may contribute to this throttling?

Buying the fan would be my last resort so please give me all the suggestions you guys have to offer. Thanks!