[SOLVED] Undervolting CPU Before Overclocking RAM?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,

XMP profile renders my system unstable so I want to manually adjust voltage, frequency and timings. But I heard that if I am planning overclocking both RAM and CPU, I must first overclock CPU (making sure first to set my RAM to its default, non-overclocked speed) and after CPU is stable, finally overclock RAM.

I don't know if above is true as well in case I only want to undervolt CPU for the purpose of reducing it's idle and workload temperature because that's what I want to do. So in this case should I start with undervolting CPU before I start overclocking RAM?

My system specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (revision 1.0, BIOS version F52)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 Plus 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 2TB 5400 RPM
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Solution
Hello,

XMP profile renders my system unstable so I want to manually adjust voltage, frequency and timings. But I heard that if I am planning overclocking both RAM and CPU, I must first overclock CPU (making sure first to set my RAM to its default, non-overclocked speed) and after CPU is stable, finally overclock RAM.

I don't know if above is true as well in case I only want to undervolt CPU for the purpose of reducing it's idle and workload temperature because that's what I want to do. So in this case should I start with undervolting CPU before I start overclocking RAM?

My system specs:

GPU...
Yes, you do that so you don't potentially induce a RAM instability while you're trying to test stability of your CPU tuning. Limit the variables.

Also,

and:

Reactions: Boris_yo
Hello,

My system specs:

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 Plus 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 2TB 5400 RPM
PSU: Corsair TX650M

I've found that if I set the DRAM voltage manually my XMP profile works stable. It could be just my motherboard, but it's something to try if all you're interested in is getting XMP settings to work right.

If you want to push your RAM up even higher than XMP clock speeds though, the DRAM Calculator is a terrific tool to determine timings and voltages to help get it working.

Reactions: Boris_yo
Solution

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@drea.drechsler and @tennis2

Despite providing as accurate information as I could, DRAM Calculator did not return good RAM timings for me both in FAST and SAFE options. In fact in SAFE option it return even lower timings than my RAM is optimized for to run overclocked.

But the good news is that I found forum post where other user had same issue as I did to get RAM working in XMP and he was provided solution. It didn't work due to tRC timing incorrect value that XMP profile worked with. Changing that to correct value solved the problem and Memtest86 was completed successfully.