Question Undiagnosable PC hard-crashing, I'm at my wits end here ?

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Alright this is my third post, I'm once again asking for help or advice. Every time I think I find the issue I get proven wrong. My PC is hard crashing, quick power off in certain scenarios. I've have been testing for crashes by playing Battlefield 2042 while watching YT and have my HWinfo logging at same time. I have plenty of Logs if anyone can spot anything in them that might help. I can't find anything comparable in them I don't exactly know what I'm looking for either. It has crashed while just playing Battlefield and having discord open as well. This problem originally started for me with For Honor though, all I had to do was watch YT and Play For Honor and it would crash. Common denominator between them is EasyAntiCheat but I don't know how that would be crashing my PC. It is something I've seen in event viewer a minute or two before crash but not comparative enough with other crashes. I've reseated everything in the PC its still possible its hardware related but I honestly can't tell with how specific the crashes are. PC runs great otherwise, doesn't crash on benchmarks or stress tests. Keep seeming to get better benchmarks every time somehow. Doesn't crash on other games, nothing on Cyberpunk, or anything else I play. I'm going to download Apex Legends tonight and test for a crash as that also uses EasyAntiCheat. Hopefully can rule that out soon.

Memtest is clean. I've re-installed windows. All drivers are up to date, and Bios is up to date. I can't diagnose this at all besides being able to replicate it easily. I can't find anything in event viewer, it hard crashes so it doesn't create any dump files. I can turn it on immediately once it crashes. I started logging with HWinfo to even see if I can get any info from the crashes. I wish I could test hardware better, I have no way of trading out parts and unfortunately can't RMA at this current moment to start testing for bad parts because I work with the PC and other than those specific crashes it runs great and never crashes during work. (3D Art). In order to do that kind of process I will have to wait a while and probably spend some money for new parts to test. If its even a hardware issue. Anyone have any Ideas or advice? Also Temps are completely fine, I monitor them constantly, never hit thermal limit on anything.

Specs:
i9 13900k
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 4090
Asus Maximus Hero Z790
GSkill Trident 2x32GB Ram
Seasonic Prime TX 1600W PSU
Corsair h150i Elite Capellix CPU cooler

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have plenty of Logs".

Does those logs include Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer?

Look in those logs for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the hard crashes.

Disable and/or uninstall Easy Anticheat. Determine if the crashes stop.

Easy Anti-Cheat could be buggy or corrupted in some manner.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
This:

"I have plenty of Logs".

Does those logs include Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer?

Look in those logs for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the hard crashes.

Disable and/or uninstall Easy Anticheat. Determine if the crashes stop.

Easy Anti-Cheat could be buggy or corrupted in some manner.
My apologizes I didn't get a notification for your reply. To answer your question I have spent probably days at this point scanning Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor. Nothing out of the ordinary shows in Event Viewer I specifically looked for patterns or coincidences, and there is literally nothing. It gives a Kernel event 41 and nothing seems to be the cause of it. EasyAntiCheat has occasionally be started a minute or seconds before the crash but not on all crashes and not often enough. Reliability Monitor also doesn't show much the only thing around the crash times is Microsoft Gameinput reconfiguring, however I ruled that out by disabling it a while ago. I can't play the games that crash the PC without EAC so thats difficult to do. However its been 2 days without crash now, I'm testing for a crash right now although I'm not my breath its gone weeks without a crash before. Some steps I just took to combat this, I excluded every file on EAC from windows defender. I am starting and running Battlefield as Administrator and I am also running it in compatibility mode windows 8. No crash yet but I'm sure Ill get another one at this point.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you see any references to Easy Anti-Cheat in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer?

Another way to look is to use a Powershell Get cmdlet.

Get-Process -ProcessName '*Ea*'

Open Powershell as Admin.

At the PS> enter the cmdlet

From my system:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Process -ProcessName '*ea*'

Handles NPM(K) PM(K) WS(K) CPU(s) Id SI ProcessName
------- ------ ----- ----- ------ -- -- -----------
596 35 40560 49176 0.97 4688 0 OneApp.IGCC.WinService
196 11 2916 8712 0.19 2132 0 SearchFilterHost
159 10 2200 7972 0.06 3596 0 SearchFilterHost
2083 131 191992 115496 3.48 9792 1 SearchHost
1000 25 38132 47388 16.31 8844 0 SearchIndexer
447 16 4624 12044 13.36 6888 0 SearchProtocolHost
519 22 8688 19568 0.42 12284 0 SecurityHealthService
179 10 1840 10160 0.00 1292 1 SecurityHealthSystray

= = = =

You can change the search criteria by editing the characters between the astericks.

Determine if Anti Easy Cheat is running when it should be running or not running when it should be running.

I've found hardware related issues often don't leave a paper trail. I had a an issue with my PC when I first built it, where it would randomly restart. It could do it multiple times a day or it could take weeks. It didn't matter whether the load was light or heavy.

Fortunately I have spare parts, I spent months testing and swapped out virtually every component before I was left with nothing but the board. Swapped that out and it's been stable every since.

If it's hardware I would think it's most likely to be motherboard, PSU or RAM. The RAM is fairly easy to a eliminate, disable XMP and try one stick at a time. The only reason I mention the PSU is because I believe the Prime TX series had some issues with transient spikes with the 30 series cards, I would have thought the issue would have been resolved by now but I'm not sure.

If you have another GPU, I would swap that in temporarily to rule out the power requirements of the 4090 being the cause. Alternatively you could just use the iGPU for a little while to see if the issues stop.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Do you see any references to Easy Anti-Cheat in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer?

From my system:

= = = =

You can change the search criteria by editing the characters between the astericks.

Determine if Anti Easy Cheat is running when it should be running or not running when it should be running.
Never seen it do that. Only launches when I launch the game. 3rd or 4th day now though and no crash yet. Not sure if something I did changed that yet. If I crash again Ill dive deeper into the Powershell for EA. Sorry still not getting alerts for this Thread for some reason.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Does it only do it playing games, ever had it on the desktop or just internet browsing?
Never Happened anywhere else only while Playing Battlefield and For Honor currently. Cant get it to crash on anything else, stress tests or benchmarks. I also do 3D work and rendering and have no issues. 3rd or 4th Day now however and no crash yet.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
I've found hardware related issues often don't leave a paper trail. I had a an issue with my PC when I first built it, where it would randomly restart. It could do it multiple times a day or it could take weeks. It didn't matter whether the load was light or heavy.

Fortunately I have spare parts, I spent months testing and swapped out virtually every component before I was left with nothing but the board. Swapped that out and it's been stable every since.

If it's hardware I would think it's most likely to be motherboard, PSU or RAM. The RAM is fairly easy to a eliminate, disable XMP and try one stick at a time. The only reason I mention the PSU is because I believe the Prime TX series had some issues with transient spikes with the 30 series cards, I would have thought the issue would have been resolved by now but I'm not sure.

If you have another GPU, I would swap that in temporarily to rule out the power requirements of the 4090 being the cause. Alternatively you could just use the iGPU for a little while to see if the issues stop.
I've made some changes in Windows defender and App properties and haven't crashed yet. I did also recently put my CPU on a lower undervolt. I did read about the seasonic transient spike issues but I would think with way more room than I even need on the PSU I should be okay. That and I'm definitely not tripping OCP otherwise I would have to switch the PSU back on and off. I can't see any spike in HWinfo either, Nothing out of ordinary. Ill keep you posted on if I need to dig deeper into the hardware. Fingers crossed I solved it this time with one change or another.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
What were you doing when it crashed?
Same thing as always, start up the PC and start discord and Start up battlefield. Can get anywhere from 5 mins to 30mins or more playing before it crashes. However yesterday when it crashed it only crashed 2 times doing these exact things. Then I played Battlefield all day without a crash. Today it crashed once, then I couldn't get it to crash again. I'm not sure if you are familiar with HWinfo Logs but Ima make a thread with with some logs so maybe someone can point something out that Im missing. I need to grab some Event Viewer Logs too.

Same thing as always, start up the PC and start discord and Start up battlefield. Can get anywhere from 5 mins to 30mins or more playing before it crashes. However yesterday when it crashed it only crashed 2 times doing these exact things. Then I played Battlefield all day without a crash. Today it crashed once, then I couldn't get it to crash again. I'm not sure if you are familiar with HWinfo Logs but Ima make a thread with with some logs so maybe someone can point something out that Im missing. I need to grab some Event Viewer Logs too.
Does it ever crash in non 3D workloads?

I have an old 1080ti I can dig out of storage, been debating swapping it out to see. Will eventually get to that point if no drivers or anything fix my issue.
It's very difficult to troubleshoot these sort of issues. You can either take an educated guess or test other components. I would put the 1080 Ti in and see if the problems persist. When it crashes, what sort of behaviour is it. Does it just freeze on what it's doing, does it blue screen or does it reboot instantly like the flick of a switch? Also does the computer make any sound when this happens?

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
It's very difficult to troubleshoot these sort of issues. You can either take an educated guess or test other components. I would put the 1080 Ti in and see if the problems persist. When it crashes, what sort of behaviour is it. Does it just freeze on what it's doing, does it blue screen or does it reboot instantly like the flick of a switch? Also does the computer make any sound when this happens?
Just powers off instantly, No Freezing, No performance loss, No BSOD, No Reboot, just off. When I move to testing hardware I will likely do PSU first. Its just the specific weird scenario it takes to crash makes me feel like it may not be hardware. Yet I do not know.

Just powers off instantly, No Freezing, No performance loss, No BSOD, No Reboot, just off. When I move to testing hardware I will likely do PSU first. Its just the specific weird scenario it takes to crash makes me feel like it may not be hardware. Yet I do not know.
I know how frustrating it is to troubleshoot these things, took me months. I would say it's either the PSU or the board personally. What speed RAM do you have and have you tried one stick at a time?

The fact that it just goes splat says to me fundamental hardware issue though. I've never had software cause these issues.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
I know how frustrating it is to troubleshoot these things, took me months. I would say it's either the PSU or the board personally. What speed RAM do you have and have you tried one stick at a time?

The fact that it just goes splat says to me fundamental hardware issue though. I've never had software cause these issues.
Ram Speed is 6000mhz with DOCP on, Ive turned it off and tested both individual and dual sticks quite a bit. I don't believe it is the RAM. I want to say its hardware related as well but if so I would feel like the crashes would be more consistent.

Per say I can usually only get it to crash 1-3 times in a day but wont after that no matter what I do. It doesn't crash in stress tests (Prime95 and Furmark) or any benchmarks. So for Hardware I would think thatd be a pretty solid indicator there if it did crash consistently doing that. It may also still be hardware though because its almost as if the PC has been on long enough or had a "Warm up period" after crashing 1-3 times it wont crash after that. Lol its driving me insane and Ive never experienced a issue I can't diagnose to this extent. Honestly just waiting on some money and Ill start RMA'ing or testing things and eat the cost of some piece of hardware.

Lol its driving me insane and Ive never experienced a issue I can't diagnose to this extent. Honestly just waiting on some money and Ill start RMA'ing or testing things and eat the cost of some piece of hardware.
I've encountered this behaviour, it was a complete nightmare to resolve. In my case I ran stress test after stress test, all passed. Then it would crash on the desktop the next day. I don't think it is the RAM I just thought I'd check. If it was software it would leave more information behind and it's more likely to BSOD.

I would generally say this is more likely to be a motherboard issue, but the lack of any crashes in non 3D workloads makes me very suspicious of the PSU. If you had no GPU you in and you were just browsing the internet and it went splat. Then I would bet money on the motherboard.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
I've encountered this behaviour, it was a complete nightmare to resolve. In my case I ran stress test after stress test, all passed. Then it would crash on the desktop the next day. I don't think it is the RAM I just thought I'd check. If it was software it would leave more information behind and it's more likely to BSOD.

I would generally say this is more likely to be a motherboard issue, but the lack of any crashes in non 3D workloads makes me very suspicious of the PSU. If you had no GPU you in and you were just browsing the internet and it went splat. Then I would bet money on the motherboard.
Thats a good point. At this point Ill be trying my 1080ti soon however it doesnt crash in any other 3D workloads. I work with 3D art for my Job and never have issues rendering or anything. I also have a bunch of other games that I have no issues with aswell. Including no issues in the infamous Cyberpunk. Im most likely going to order another PSU online and return it if it doesnt solve my issue

Not sure if I should stick with Seasonic or not though

Jul 21, 2023
Hello, I am experiencing a similar problem with my pc, it suddenly shuts down either at idle or when gaming, I think it is my old graphics card that is causing the problem, I have a GTX 750 Ti.

What I have tried is to change the power supply and it keeps turning off, I test the CPU, GPU and RAM with OCCT, FurMark and MemTest86 and all the tests passed without turning off or heating up, my CPU does not go above 52º C and the GPU at 78º C, the last thing I tried was to remove the graphics card and turn it on and it lasted 32 hours without turning off until I turned it off to connect the GPU again and it keeps turning off.

Thats a good point. At this point Ill be trying my 1080ti soon however it doesnt crash in any other 3D workloads. I work with 3D art for my Job and never have issues rendering or anything. I also have a bunch of other games that I have no issues with aswell. Including no issues in the infamous Cyberpunk. Im most likely going to order another PSU online and return it if it doesnt solve my issue

Not sure if I should stick with Seasonic or not though
Assuming that's not coincidence that suggests there's something about the load that's causing it to become unstable.
the last thing I tried was to remove the graphics card and turn it on and it lasted 32 hours without turning off until I turned it off to connect the GPU again and it keeps turning off.
That to me says there is an issue with the 4090 or the PSU, or the way they are connected.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

From my system:

= = = =

I decided to search through my Event viewer for the billionth time. I may have stumbled upon an interesting Pattern.

Event ID 7045
A service was installed in the system.

Service Name: EasyAntiCheatSys
Service File Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat\EasyAntiCheat.sys
Service Type: kernel mode driver
Service Start Type: demand start
Service Account:

Event ID 6:
File System Filter 'EasyAntiCheatSys' (6.1, ‎2023‎-‎05‎-‎23T06:13:48.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

These two events from EasyAntiCheat are often the last two events in the logs before the system crash. They are just info logs however these are more often then not the last logs the system writes. In a few cases there are a few logs after but not always. Idk if its something to look at. I do find it weird for instance that these can be the last logs before the system crashes at all meaning it could crash 5 -15 mins after these logs but not write anything else after them.

Switching to Application logs these events happen at the exact same time:

Event ID 16384
Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at 2123-06-17T15:54:04Z. Reason: RulesEngine.

Event ID 903
The Software Protection service has stopped.

I'm going to dig further into this, Currently tracking down all my crashes and noting any pattern down.

What are you thoughts on this possibility?