[SOLVED] Unexpected results after ram upgrade

Aug 6, 2021
Today I replaced some hardware of my old pc: GPU and RAM. My old ram was 2x8GB 3600mhz and the new one is 2x16 3600mhz, after hours of getting black screen on boot and troubleshooting I found out it was my ram causing the issues, I lowered from 3600mhz to 3000mhz through BIOS and everything is working now.

My question is, what is preventing me from using my ram at max settings. My motherboard is Asus ROG Strix Z370-E and my CPU intel i7-8700k. Also if it's any of those 2 how can I make sure my next upgrade on these will be able to keep up with my RAM.

Solution
Ram not only has speed, but other settings referred to as timings. They are basically number of clock cycles that the ram/memory controller wait for the line to clear of electricity before sending the next bit of data. If the ram needs 12 cycles for the line to clear but it's set for 10 cycles, then the data might be corrupted and you'll have issues. The bigger the number the more latency in the ram/system. Lets look at a random ram set I pick from newegg. In no way to I endorse this ram, I'm just using it as an example.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476

This ram set is rated to run at 3200MHz, with timings off 16-18-18-38. The first one is the CAS, and considered the most...

4745454b

Titan
Ram not only has speed, but other settings referred to as timings. They are basically number of clock cycles that the ram/memory controller wait for the line to clear of electricity before sending the next bit of data. If the ram needs 12 cycles for the line to clear but it's set for 10 cycles, then the data might be corrupted and you'll have issues. The bigger the number the more latency in the ram/system. Lets look at a random ram set I pick from newegg. In no way to I endorse this ram, I'm just using it as an example.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476

This ram set is rated to run at 3200MHz, with timings off 16-18-18-38. The first one is the CAS, and considered the most important. 12 is better than 16. 10 is better than 12. If you enable XMP, double check the timings and make sure they match what it should be.

Solution
Today I replaced some hardware of my old pc: GPU and RAM. My old ram was 2x8GB 3600mhz and the new one is 2x16 3600mhz, after hours of getting black screen on boot and troubleshooting I found out it was my ram causing the issues, I lowered from 3600mhz to 3000mhz through BIOS and everything is working now.

My question is, what is preventing me from using my ram at max settings. My motherboard is Asus ROG Strix Z370-E and my CPU intel i7-8700k. Also if it's any of those 2 how can I make sure my next upgrade on these will be able to keep up with my RAM.

i7-8700k officially supports up to 2666Mhz so the MAX Overclock is probably 3000Mhz.
3600Mhz is not guaranteed with OC RAM as it depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip if you will reach the rated frequency.

To make sure your next upgrade for OC RAM, It should be kept as a single kit the size you need that is supported by the CPU and MB and chosen from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Aug 6, 2021
They were running at their default speed, I never changed the settings. Anyway from what I read the ram I bought was made for AMD CPU and it's also not in the QVL for my motherboard. At least I learnt what QVL is so thanks for your replies :)