[SOLVED] Unfixable repair loop windows 10

Oct 3, 2019
Ok this started with a HP Omen Obelisk model 875-0024 purchased from Best Buy for $2000. I was gaming on world of Warcraft one night and the PC abruptly turned off and went into a repair loop. I struggled trying to revive it using every option from Hiren’s , I tried everything with Rufus to make a bootable usb. I’ve tried the windows media creation tool and all of its options, I’ve tried using a windows recovery drive. I eventually gave up and brought it in to a local repair shop. He kept it for a whole day and the next day told me that the motherboard was bad.

I bought a whole new motherboard (MSI Mpg z390 gaming pro carbon ac) computer case to fit the new motherboard, new PSU, and new cpu cooler. I switched all of the components to the new motherboard and got into the same repair loop as before .. I then decided to just buy a new ssd and new windows. I disconnected the old HDD and ssd and tried to start from scratch with a brand new SSD and windows, I also flashed the BIOS to the most recent version at this point.

Still nothing now it won’t allow me to install windows because it BSOD before it can install tried all of the bios options possible and I’m still stuck.

Next I Put the old ssd and hdd in and tried fixing it with bootrec commands because with the store bought windows usb I was able to get to the command prompt. Still no progress... So I was convinced it was a hardware issue somehow.

I took it into a different pc repair shop and they tried replacing the RAM and messed around with it for about 30 minutes trying different things. Eventually told me he would need to keep it, it’s been 3 days and no call back from the new repair shop... just a strange email saying “kernel auto boost invalid lock release” with no other information
Tried calling them for 2 hours I just get a message that they are helping other customers now they’re closed for the day.

Sigh anyone have any ideas on what is wrong with this machine..... ?

Oct 3, 2019
That makes sense I guess . I’ll go to the shop tomorrow to see what they think. I just bought this computer how often do brand new cpu’s fail? Especially after just 3 weeks of light gaming on world of Warcraft. Yeesh

Oct 3, 2019
Got in contact with the repair shop... they told me to come and pick up my tower. They don’t know what’s wrong and have apparently ignored my request to test a new processor. This is the second cpu shop that has been stumped.
They told me I can try a new processor if I want. And they can install it for a fee.
Lol....
New question.. is there any tool that I could use that could test the cpu processor without loading windows? It is an intel I7 8700

Oct 3, 2019
The second cpu shop tried replacing the RAM yes. I guess all I can do is throw another $500 at this problem and get a new cpu. If this doesn’t work I swear to god I will lose my marbles.

Something I haven’t mentioned... with the store bought windows USB i was able to partially install windows in the new ssd by installing during safe mode, (By hitting F8 advanced options when it asks if you want 64 or 32bit windows installed) however when the install required a restart it blue screened and screwed up the entire pprocess.

I was able to clear the new ssd of the partially installed windows using the bios and was unsure how to continue from there, so I gave up on that route.

I was also able to attempt a system restore on my old ssd and hdd using the safe mode repair tools with the usb but that didn’t go anywhere except the same repair loop. I was also able to get into the command prompt and try the /fixboot thing but that didn’t fix anything either.

When I try using the other functions of the repair tools that are available it says that they do not work in safe mode and of course the usb will only work in safe mode.

Sigh.

Last edited:
Safe mode only means there is a hardware problem. I know that doesn't help much, but it means that once a driver is in there, the computer loses it. So at this point, what are you able to do?
Get into the BIOS at all?
See boot options from the old install?
Start the install from the USB stick?

Oct 3, 2019
It was the processor... after all that 2 weeks of frustration the least likely thing to fail is the thing that failed.

What confused me and the computer repair shops is that the 10 BSOD codes that would show up all indicated that it was a driver and memory problem... so strange. The second repair shop thought my RAM slots were bad and also suggested I get a new motherboard even though I already did.

Trophy to the guy that suggested new cpu thanks and bye.

Last edited: