[SOLVED] "Unidentified Network" "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration"

milo0221gaming

Commendable
Jan 4, 2018
I am once again having Ethernet issues. All of a sudden, my ethernet connection has ceased to work. I have another home computer that is using an ethernet connection and that computer seemed to work fine. I have gone through over 50 online pages with tips or things to try and nothing has worked. I have updated drivers, I've done rollbacks, I've gone into the BIOS, I've messed with security/firewall settings, and absolutely nothing has worked. If you look at my account, this is now the 4th time I am coming here to help for ethernet issues. I have probably had ethernet issues at least twice a year and its just getting ridiculous at this point. I've never once messed with any settings to even cause so many problems and at this point, I am really frustrated and I'll take any help I can get. Hopefully someone can help!!! Edit: I've just tried plugging in the very same ethernet cable into a laptop and I'm actually receiving the same issues. Does this mean I'm having an ethernet cable issue? I don't know what to take from this

Last edited:
Solution
Yes - could very well be the case. It does not take much to cause problems in an ethernet cable. Especially if of standard/stock variety or brand. E.g., an ethernet cable that was packaged with some network device or bought via a big box store or online discounter.

Try another known working ethernet cable on your computer.

Try the current ethernet cable on another known working (connecting) computer.

Determine if the problem follows the cable or stays with your computer.

Look in Reliability History for network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the ethernet connection ceasing to work.

The routers logs (if available and enabled) may likewise be capturing some issue.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - could very well be the case. It does not take much to cause problems in an ethernet cable. Especially if of standard/stock variety or brand. E.g., an ethernet cable that was packaged with some network device or bought via a big box store or online discounter.

Look in Reliability History for network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the ethernet connection ceasing to work.

The routers logs (if available and enabled) may likewise be capturing some issue.

Reactions: milo0221gaming
Solution

milo0221gaming

Commendable
Jan 4, 2018

I'll attempt using a different cable tomorrow, thx