[SOLVED] "Unidentified Network" when the ethernet cable goes through a brand new switch.

Jensguy

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
I've tried so much, but can't seem to figure it out. The ethernet cable from the router itself is fine and just connects. I bought the Netgear GS305P as the switch and the Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-LITE for the wifi boost upstairs. Any recommendations are super welcome! Please ask me what more information you need in the comments and I'll provide it for you.

Solution
If a PC connected to the switch doesn't work, it's the switch or an odd compatibility issue I've seen just 3 other times that's solved with going with a different brand switch.
So you plug the router into the switch and the pc into the switch and it does not work. But if you take the cable that goes to the switch and unplug it and plug it directly to the pc it works ?

That would imply a bad switch since there is nothing you can set or configure on those small switches.

If you have the AP being used I would suspect it is the AP. Not sure you need to check that you are getting power to the AP first.

Jensguy

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
So you plug the router into the switch and the pc into the switch and it does not work. But if you take the cable that goes to the switch and unplug it and plug it directly to the pc it works ?

That would imply a bad switch since there is nothing you can set or configure on those small switches.

If you have the AP being used I would suspect it is the AP. Not sure you need to check that you are getting power to the AP first.
So best thing to do is contact the retailer that sold me the switch?