Uninstall Windows 10, install Windows 8, Possibly reinstall 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 home and i really do not like it. I know that for Windows 10 the product/activation keys are linked to the hardware itself. Say i was to uninstall windows 10 home and install windows 8. (i know i would need a key). Than later on decide maybe I wanted 10 back. Would all i have to do is find a windows 10 installation disk(i dont have one)and it would install picking up the key from the hardware? Or would i have to repurchase windows

your laptop is embedded with a windows 10 key so you would be able to. one thing to watch for if you do try to install windows 8 though is you may not be able to get all your latop features working with it since MS has told intel and AMD to drop support for windows 7 and 8 for modern chipsets and CPU's

the major thing about windows 8 that was its ondoing was getting rid of the standard start menu and replacing it with the full screen one like the one in windows 10 tablet mode. it also has a sidebar on the right of the screen which i hated because when i had my cursor anywhere in that area of the screen it would pop out conveniently. . the only good thing about windows 8 now for the people who want to avoid windows 10 for some reason is that it is a bit more secure then windows 7

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

That is true! I completely forgot about that!! I should research further

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

I did not look deep into this yet as I was more concerned about the key issues before I even started to research. I will look further. Thanks

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

I am just used to the Windows 8 layout. Windows 10 is also full of spy and bloatware (Much can be disabled), and the automatic updates bother me extremly.

If you think win10 is full of stuff, why do you think that win8/8.1 isn't?

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

i know windows 8/8.1 is too. Its just not as widely bashed upon i suppose. Im just used to 8.1 and am not likeing 10 after have hearing all the problems people say. Yea its a biased opinion

What problems. Look win 10 is here, there's a lot of bs, you'll have to live with it eventually, and it works exactly the same as 8.1.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are basing opinion on what others say? Why not find out for yourself as they could be wrong. Are these same people still using 8 and only trying to get others to use it so that they themselves feel right about their decision?

Its funny how every other version of Windows is seen as evil, its like they are playing good cop/bad cop with their own versions.

Win 98 Good
ME bad (to be fair, this deserved it)
XP Good (XP was seen as playskool windows when it 1st came out, blame interface colors)
Vista Bad (Vista was fine if PC was new enough)
Win 7 Good (Vista with a new paint job)
Win 8 bad
Win 10 good (though in your mind, this last pattern has swapped)

resistance to change happens every generation, there are still people using XP now.
Win 10 might exist so long that people forget this pattern or just become so good as to repeat it with the next version. Since win 10 gets a brand new version every 6 months, it can grow to include new technologies meaning the need for a new OS is less necessary going forward.

so you are willing to risk a boatload of problems and money on an OS that isn't supported on your laptop before even trying the OS it came with? if all your friends told you OSX was better would you waste money on a macbook too?

Status
Not open for further replies.