Question Uninstalling and re-installing the web browser could be helpful to get rid of the malicious code?

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
While I was surfing this morning, I accidentally clicked on the link of an unsafe website. Thus, I'm worried about whether my system is affected. In this case, would reinstalling the web browser be helpful? Or would it be a waste of time? I'm using the portable version.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
With any luck, your anti virus software should have blocked attempts to infect your machine. Many viruses infect the underlying Operating System (Windows) so reinstalling the browser is unlikely to change anything.

Most importantly, if you have a large collection of photos, videos, music, documents on your computer, I do hope you had them backed up to an external USB drive or another computer BEFORE the potential infection.

Ransomware could be slowly encrypting all your precious files in the background as we speak and in two weeks it will announce its presence and demand a $300 ransom in Bitcoin. Check these files and see if they are intact.

Do NOT connect your backup drive to the computer now, if it contains your only copy of important files. Doing so could result in the backup drive becoming infected too. Use a completely empty drive if necessary for new backups, until you're sure your system is uninfected.

In addition, malicious code could be silently recording the user name and password for your on line banking, shopping, email and social media. Do not log into your bank account or buy anything on line with a credit card until you've checked for viruses.

As suggested by Lutfij, run a full Malwarebytes scan on your computer now. You could also run a full scan using your currently installed anti virus program.

Reactions: universalrule

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
Use Malwarebytes as a secondary option. As a primary option, if you clicked on a suspicious site, check to see if any app was installed at the same time frame as when you clicked on said site.

Portable version of what browser?
Fortunately, no apps were installed. I'm using Firefox, Chrome and Opera portable.
Thanks!

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
With any luck, your anti virus software should have blocked attempts to infect your machine. Many viruses infect the underlying Operating System (Windows) so reinstalling the browser is unlikely to change anything.

Most importantly, if you have a large collection of photos, videos, music, documents on your computer, I do hope you had them backed up to an external USB drive or another computer BEFORE the potential infection.

Ransomware could be slowly encrypting all your precious files in the background as we speak and in two weeks it will announce its presence and demand a $300 ransom in Bitcoin. Check these files and see if they are intact.

Do NOT connect your backup drive to the computer now, if it contains your only copy of important files. Doing so could result in the backup drive becoming infected too. Use a completely empty drive if necessary for new backups, until you're sure your system is uninfected.

In addition, malicious code could be silently recording the user name and password for your on line banking, shopping, email and social media. Do not log into your bank account or buy anything on line with a credit card until you've checked for viruses.

As suggested by Lutfij, run a full Malwarebytes scan on your computer now. You could also run a full scan using your currently installed anti virus program.
I really appreciate for the details. I have two backups and connect them only once a month with offline.
Luckily, my system seems okay.
Thank you!

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
As a precaution against malicious web sites, I run Firefox inside Sandboxie, in the hope that running the web browser sandboxed will provide additional protection.
https://sandboxie-plus.com/downloads/

I wipe the Sandboxie cache periodically to get rid of unwanted cookies. If your browser already runs in a sandbox, you won't need Sandboxie.

Alternatively, run your browser in a virtual machine. If it gets infected, delete the VM.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In regard to the above post by @Misgar if you are regularly surfing to unsafe websites, it is probably best to do so within a VM. I use the free Oracle one, and utilize Ubuntu with it such that I run into even less problems such as when having to look something up or check what someone (else) ran into when described problem started from.

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
As a precaution against malicious web sites, I run Firefox inside Sandboxie, in the hope that running the web browser sandboxed will provide additional protection.

I wipe the Sandboxie cache periodically to get rid of unwanted cookies. If your browser already runs in a sandbox, you won't need Sandboxie.

Alternatively, run your browser in a virtual machine. If it gets infected, delete the VM.
I was considering that as well before. But my system is not so powerful to run VM smoothly. That's why I use portable version instead. You can delete the folder and re-install it if it's infected.
Btw, I'll reconsider to use sandboxie again.
Thank you!

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
In regard to the above post by @Misgar if you are regularly surfing to unsafe websites, it is probably best to do so within a VM. I use the free Oracle one, and utilize Ubuntu with it such that I run into even less problems such as when having to look something up or check what someone (else) ran into when described problem started from.
When I get a powerful system, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023

Hey, Misgar. I have another question.
Let's say, MS defender doesn't detect an unknown new malicious code, so your system is infected, but you don't notice it. In this case, using sandboxie for the web browser is still helpful?
For instance, what if you are going to use Paypal or bank website?

Hey, Misgar. I have another question.
Let's say, MS defender doesn't detect an unknown new malicious code, so your system is infected, but you don't notice it. In this case, using sandboxie for the web browser is still helpful?
For instance, what if you are going to use Paypal or bank website?
If you have a compromised system, assuming nothing is safe to do in that system.

I see. Then what about separated partition? I also installed another Windows 10 system on an external SSD for using only Paypal and online banking.
In this case, is the result the same if my system is infected?
If you're running a separate instance of Windows with a separate instance of the browser, then you can reasonably assume it's safe to use the computer.

Note that unless something asked for elevated privileges and it was something you didn't initiate, the system itself may be fine.

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
If you're running a separate instance of Windows with a separate instance of the browser, then you can reasonably assume it's safe to use the computer.

Note that unless something asked for elevated privileges and it was something you didn't initiate, the system itself may be fine.
Gotcha! Thanks for the answer!!