Uninterruptible Power Supply Communication with Windows 10

Zoravar8

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Sorry in advance for this slightly longer post, but I felt like this question needed a little bit of background info....

I just bought a new CyberPower UPS for my desktop and wanted to set some of my scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler to behave differently based on if the computer is on battery power or not. (For example: Not starting a particular task if on battery power.)

When I connected the UPS to the computer via USB for the first time, Windows 10 detected it, installed some drivers automatically and showed the little battery icon in the task tray like it would a laptop. I thought "Great! Windows knows the state of my UPS (Charging, discharging, etc)". Which, logically, Windows would need to know in order to control tasks based on power source.

I then proceed to install CyberPower's PowerPanel Personal Edition (PPPE). However, while PPPE works fine and shows the state of the UPS in the program, the battery icon in windows has disappeared.

This then leads into my question: With PPPE installed, does Windows still know the state of my UPS? Or is PPPE blocking that info from getting to the operating system so that the software can retain control of the computer's power behaviors when on battery?

I ask this because I would rather not wait until I have a power problem to figure out that my tasks aren't behaving the way I want them to.

Thanks.

Solution
Correct, Cyberpower's utility takes over in place of Windows power controls. Kind of like when you install Antivirus and firewall, it disables Windows Defender and Firewall.

TBH most UPS only last about 10 to 15 minutes, so really the only task you'd want to schedule is to shut down your PC.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Correct, Cyberpower's utility takes over in place of Windows power controls. Kind of like when you install Antivirus and firewall, it disables Windows Defender and Firewall.

TBH most UPS only last about 10 to 15 minutes, so really the only task you'd want to schedule is to shut down your PC.

Solution

Zoravar8

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

Thank you!