Question Unistall windows/apps from HDD without loosing data (Win10 was cloned to SSD)

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Hello, I have successfully cloned my HDD to SSD to speed up a bit my laptop and everything works, but the SSD is full. I want to keep all the data from the HDD and just leave the OS on the SSD, then link desktop, my documents, pictures, downloads, etc to the HDD, and leave some free space on the SSD.

How can I unistall windows and all apps/progams from the HDD without loosing data or folder locations. I don't have enough free space to copy the files, format the HDD and then copy them back.
Thank you very much.

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't notice this is the hardware forum,

Lutfij

Titan
Can you share the make and models of the storage drives? How much free space do you have on the SSD and the HDD? You can try and move the Users folder over to the HDD from the SSD, provided you're sure that the cloning process went well. A lot of people clone their drives, wipe the original drive and then learn that the clone didn't actually go accordingly and they've lost a considerable amount of time.

Conversely you can format the HDD, provided the data is intact on the SSD, once the HDD is wiped, you can then move your important files over to the SSD, to free up some space and gain back speed from said SSD.

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I should have given more info. Process went well, I'm using the laptop only with the SSD, the HDD is sitting on my desk.
The SSD is 128GB and the HDD is 500GB. I stored some data on my USB flash and manage to lower the HDD to 116GB of used space so I could clone it on the SSD.
Now I want to delete all the files from the SSD, my documents, downloads, pictures, etc, and link those to my HDD
Also unistall win10 from the HDD since those files won't be used anymore but without formating.

USAFRet

Titan
You're making this way too hard.

First, what tool did you use for this clone?

After the clone process, have you verified the system boots from ONLY the new SSD? Physical disconnection of the HDD, and boting from ONLY the SSD.

If so....

You're making this way too hard.
If it is verified the system boots from only the SSD, then delete everything from the old HDD. All paritions.
Then, move some data off the SSD.

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
The laptop is working fine with the SSD only, no HDD installed. I am using the laptop to post in here right now.
I just don't want to copy, transfer, etc since that takes more time, I already did because all my data on the HDD is 175GB but my SSD is only 128GB. I had to transfer about 45GB from the HDD to a USB flash to be able to clone the HDD, since my SDD is smaller. I used AOMEI Backupper.
I would like to uninstall WIN10 from the HDD which I think it will be faster than transfer again and format the drive and copy files again. I just don't want to delete windows folder, but a clean unistall of the OS only. Maybe theres a software that can do that.
If that is not posible, then I will have to copy everything, transfer, copy again, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
The laptop is working fine with the SSD only, no HDD installed. I am using the laptop to post in here right now.
I just don't want to copy, transfer, etc since that takes more time, I already did because all my data on the HDD is 175GB but my SSD is only 128GB. I had to transfer about 45GB from the HDD to a USB flash to be able to clone the HDD, since my SDD is smaller. I used AOMEI Backupper.
I would like to uninstall WIN10 from the HDD which I think it will be faster than transfer again and format the drive and copy files again. I just don't want to delete windows folder, but a clean unistall of the OS only. Maybe theres a software that can do that.
If that is not posible, then I will have to copy everything, transfer, copy again, etc.
Sorry, but doing it the way you describe IS more work than what I described.

There is no "uninstall" of Windows. No tool or function to do that.
/Windows
/ProgramData
/Program Files
/Program Files(x86)

Delete those, and 'most' of the old OS is gone.
Leaving behind some random other folders.

Plus, any shortcuts in the OS on the SSD are pointing to places on the C drive. What you propose is having this stuff on the D drive, and somehow magically change those shortculs and links.

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
I have a dektop PC where my OS is in C: (SSD) , and all my documents, pictures, music, download folders are on D: (HDD), and yes they are linked. I used a youtube guide to do it. That is what I want to do with my laptop, I just don't want to spend so much time transferring and copying files, taking out HDDs etc. My PC is at my shop and I'm at home, so I don't have access to any other HDD.
I also thought of deleting just those folders, but I read somewhere that there are files that can't be deleted, or ask for permitions or something.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a dektop PC where my OS is in C: (SSD) , and all my documents, pictures, music, download folders are on D: (HDD), and yes they are linked. I used a youtube guide to do it. That is what I want to do with my laptop, I just don't want to spend so much time transferring and copying files, taking out HDDs etc. My PC is at my shop and I'm at home, so I don't have access to any other HDD.
I also thought of deleting just those folders, but I read somewhere that there are files that can't be deleted, or ask for permitions or something.
Well..I know what I would do.

Delete all from the HDD.
Change 'Location' of the Libraries. This moves all of that data with a few clicks.
Has to be done properly, though.

(actually, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't have used such a small SSD, but YMMV)

Reactions: danielsanchez82

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah is an old laptop and I don't want to invest on it, I got that SSD for free, so is better than nothing hehe =P
Well I guess deleting system folders is the best option now.

Thanks for the response