[SOLVED] Unknown and unallocated Disk after i killed task of some game installation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 22, 2020
Hi drive gurus please help me out,

I have read many many questions and my situation might be different even if solution is same. I am bit worried and confused right now.

I have new WD 2TB and an old 1TB seagate desktop drives, my windows OS is on new one from where I was installing a game onto 2nd seagate 1TB drive and ended up killing that install from task manager as it was taking long time and exit button was not working. Right after that, the partition where i was installing became inaccessible and after restart whole seagate drive was not visible.

Now it shows as unknown, uninitialized, unallocated device (does show the total drive size). Minitool partition wizard showed as Bad Disk.

To recover partitions i read i can Initialize the disk, rebuild MBR or run chkdsk but I am afraid they might wipe out my data. I do need my data in same structure.

My 2tb has 1.2TB of free space so should i clone this bad disk first before trying anything on it so i can put this image back and try again if something goes wrong with recovery? And which tool can help in cloning exact state of drive? Then which tool can i try to recover my file structure/partition ?

Currently my testdisk(on ubuntu live) is scanning this drive which is taking some time, i am not familiar how to use testdisk.

Any help is highly appretiated. And i can't afford to go for recovery shops.

Solution
You can start by cloning the 323GB logical disk to an image file. Start sector = 122882048, end sector = 753721343. Then run data recovery software against the image file. You may not be able to recover your file names, so the results may not be good. However, the most important thing is to get a reasonably good clone.

Here is one possible recovery tool:

R-Photo - Free Photo and Video Recovery for Windows OS file systems:
https://www.r-undelete.com/free_photo_recovery/
Aug 22, 2020
You can start by cloning the 323GB logical disk to an image file. Start sector = 122882048, end sector = 753721343.
okay sure, i will find some youtube videos how to use those, and does that 323GB look in good condition?

Also do you recommend any options like rebuilding MBR or using chkdsk etc or do i have to accept that partitions can't be recovered now. Btw it was that 323GB partition where i was installing that game, i am still confused how that corrupted all other partitions to a degree i cant recover their file structures.