Aug 3, 2016
Hi there,
I have a custom built pc. Specs as follows
Asus z170-k motherboard
Intel 3.3 ghz 6600k CPU
Gtx 970 strix 4gb
CM 650 gold+ PSU
16gb ddr4 ram

Tonight I was installing a cpu water cooler and another 8Gb of ram (16 total) and I checked my pc before I got started, everything was fine. But after I finished my motherboard had lights going, power supply's fan was going, GPU had a light and fans going, my lan cable at the back was plugged in and had light but my monitor displayed "no signal" I switched out cables and all, I had a hdmi and tested a vga, didn't work. Tested on my laptop and the screen was showing so my monitor is not broken.

Given that my GPU and motherboard have power and my monitor works on a laptop, what would you suggest I do, given that if either the motherboard or GPU aren't working that that is the problem.

Thanks

Solution

Could be 2 incompatible ram modules try one at a time. and some times with any hard ware channge yang need to clear the cmos or what the call nvram sometimes in cases where bios hanging some time need to pull main board battery and clear close. Also try reseating ram and video card if apllicable

sid_90

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014

Then it is definitely your MoBo... have a local tech look into it, for a clear understanding on what caused this issue, my guess will be over-heating of the circuit board.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

Could be 2 incompatible ram modules try one at a time. and some times with any hard ware channge yang need to clear the cmos or what the call nvram sometimes in cases where bios hanging some time need to pull main board battery and clear close. Also try reseating ram and video card if apllicable

Solution