[SOLVED] Unknown Phone Attempted Screen Mirroring on LAN-Connected Samsung TV

mediatekk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
I use my TV as a PC monitor (via HDMI). I was playing a game and suddenly got a message that a One Note phone wanted to Screen Mirror my TV. My questions right now are
  1. Wouldn't someone need to be connected to my LAN to see my TV (as in - has my wifi been hacked?)
  2. Can Screen Mirroring show my screen on their phone or just show their phone screen on my TV?
I'm trying to figure out if this was malicious or just a neighbor accidentally selecting the wrong TV.

I live alone and no one else has access to my wifi (that I know of).

Solution
Do you use the TV for something else or only as a monitor. Does it actually have a connection to the network or is it only connected via HDMI. Can you tell if the tv has the ability to connect to any wifi network

In addition to what you have done make sure you disable WPS. This was hacked years ago and unfortunately many routers still have this feature because of all the lazy people in this world that can't even be bothered to key in a password.

I would turn the SSID broadcast back on. A real hacker will be able to find the SSID even with it off. There are some devices that will refuse to connect and it is actually a requirement for the wifi encryption but few routers enforce it.

mediatekk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
I use my TV as a PC monitor (via HDMI). I was playing a game and suddenly got a message that a One Note phone wanted to Screen Mirror my TV. My questions right now are
  1. Wouldn't someone need to be connected to my LAN to see my TV (as in - has my wifi been hacked?)
  2. Can Screen Mirroring show my screen on their phone or just show their phone screen on my TV?
I'm trying to figure out if this was malicious or just a neighbor accidentally selecting the wrong TV.

I live alone and no one else has access to my wifi (that I know of).

Ralston18

Titan
One time attempt or multiple attempts?

Make and model router?

Have you reset the router or made any other recent changes to your network?

Check your router to determine what devices are connected to or have been connected to your network.

Immediately change your network passwords - do not use the router's default admin login and password.

mediatekk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015

Make and model router?

Check your router to determine what devices are connected to or have been connected to your network.

Immediately change your network passwords - do not use the router's default admin login and password.

One attempt and I was prompted to accept or deny. I denied of course. My router had a strong password as did my wifi. Totally confused how my TV popped up on someone's One Plus Nord phone. I just changed my wifi settings to turn of SSID broadcasting and changed all passwords as well as the name of my Wifi.

mediatekk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015

Make and model router?

On a side note: that unknown phone did not turn up in my router's list of attached devices. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Do you use the TV for something else or only as a monitor. Does it actually have a connection to the network or is it only connected via HDMI. Can you tell if the tv has the ability to connect to any wifi network

In addition to what you have done make sure you disable WPS. This was hacked years ago and unfortunately many routers still have this feature because of all the lazy people in this world that can't even be bothered to key in a password.

I would turn the SSID broadcast back on. A real hacker will be able to find the SSID even with it off. There are some devices that will refuse to connect and it is actually a requirement for the wifi encryption but few routers enforce it.

Solution