Unless Stopped, FBI's Mass Hacking Could Be Legalized December 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I'm getting old enough to not care about myself so I will say this:

Those against true democracy figured out a long time ago that when you can't change a law you can work it's loopholes. . . . .it works both ways and there's no deadline on that!

Ryuudou

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
A preview of what life will be like under Trump's America. He doesn't believe in the constitution and has clear authoritarian leanings (which is why his supporters love him).

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
"Well you could just not do anything on your computer that you wouldn't do in public. Common sense goes a long way."
Yep, and after getting all the info those guys want, the next step is to create laws that basically can potentially incarcerate anyone and... Bingo! Whenever someone isn't following "their" rules or is a potential problem for their power: use all that information and bring them down easy peasy. It's now like some of these laws aren't already there so... Great plan!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Sweet. All I have to do is "hide in plain sight" then when I want to pirate some movies then.

Not like I used any of that encryption/tor/vpn crap to begin with anyways...

Still here... still not hacked... still don't give a crap...

The pot calling the kettle black??

Most democrats think the constitution should be rewritten, especially in regards to firearms. Obama also issued quite a few executive orders to not enforce some laws essentially contradicting what was passed by congress, and over reach on others which should need an act of congress. Even Saturday Night Live made a hilarious skit about it. "I'm just a bill".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDSeb2zHQ0

Go ahead FBI, pass this, I dare you. I double dare you.
These massive privacy breaches are all fine and good as long as you are the one doing them.
Karma is a bi*ch and the least you expect it, the law you abused will turn against you.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
True.

Not sure.

Give me even one single piece of evidence for thinking he would roll back something like this. Just one.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why do you automatically assume someone criticizing Trump supports Obama? And even his most ardent supporters probably don't like 100% of his policies.

The "your guy isn't any better" line is just a cheap trick used to silence opposition. Don't use it; don't fall for it.

The fact is, we don't know what Trump will do, but he's been very pro-law enforcement and seems to have authoritarian tendencies. I'm definitely worried that policies like this will be the norm, in his administration.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

I'm not saying he would or wouldn't. I"m saying a Lame Duck president won't so you have to wait for the new guy to have a chance.

cbsecurity

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Supporters and activists in the EFF like myself continue to work to reverse this. While many of us graybeards are fine being spied on (you're going to be bored watching me code, change diapers and take an afternoon nap), we aren't fine when it's done to good people, hard-working activists, and then used to prosecute them for crimes committed for the greater good. And honestly, privacy is a huge deal to the average citizen and we believe it is a right. Rule 41 is going to be watched closely with the power change in Washington, and from the EFF's perspective at least, we have quite a battle ahead.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's the point of the 4th Amendment, IMO. Government surveillance is an instrumental tool in silencing opposition. That's the main reason it's so dangerous.

So, I don't fear for surveillance of my activities, but rather perhaps of someone I might want to vote for.

It's too bad about Snowden, really. His revelations were too embarrassing to everyone with oversight responsibility that there was pretty much no one left to prosecute the Deep State for its excesses.

cbsecurity

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

You've nailed it there. I think that is what the power of Snowden's overall story and case comes down to. The irony is the masses affected are still barely aware of what was really revealed, or of the point you made. Or more scary: they are, but it was so shocking they couldn't process it and turned a blind eye. Most people I know really just don't understand. They either don't know who he is, or think "he's that guy that stole secrets, right?"

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think one reason people weren't more upset about it is the deep cynicism towards government, that afflicts our culture.

People have been joking about the NSA spying on them, for so long, that it almost wasn't surprising to learn they actually were. Couple that with flawed arguments that it's no cause for concern, and the outrage never reaches a level that causes politicians to fear for their jobs.

That's why I say that cynicism is corrosive. It leads to apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.