Unlocking Cell Phones in U.S. to Become Illegal January 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if you are buying your phone... then why can't you do what you want with it assumign you care not committig a crime with it? .... pointless legislation is pointless

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Subsidize phones are dumb anyways. Carriers locking your phone is also dumb. You are still in a 2 year contract so why does it matter to them? Damn lobbyist. Anyways, there is always the out of stock nexus 4 and the unlock iPhone 5 and HTC 8X on Verizon.

G

what if I bring my unlocked cell phone into the US, or purchase an unlocked cell phone from abroad while in the US, or walk across the border into Mexico / Canada / take a fishing boat out of US territorial waters, unlock the phone, and then walk / row back?

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Government is all about control. Government doesn't do anything to benefit the people. It seeks to control as much as possible in the name of the people's benefit. Just think about it the next time the government does anything you disagree with...or even agree with... It will all make sense.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Yay for the corporations running our government! This is going to help NO ONE except the carriers, who are ripping us off already with their ridiculous data charges. I love my country but hate my government. Actually that is a lie, I hate my country too because it is full of morons who let this shit go. Before anyone says anything, yes, I did actually call my congressman, not that that will do anything since I don't have a few million to give them like big corporations do.

I think its about time the US does away with corporate lobbying. It needs to be illegal for a corporation, or a representative of corporations to give money to the gov't. And any politician who violates this needs to be immediately fined and removed from their position.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Government is all about control. Government doesn't do anything to benefit the people. It seeks to control as much as possible in the name of the people's benefit. Just think about it the next time the government does anything you disagree with...or even agree with... It will all make sense.[/citation]
Don't forget the corporations since they're the ones actually orchestrating all this; Verizon, at&t, Apple, Samsung, Sprint, etc. The carriers want to continue overcharging you and like the manufacturers, they want you to keep "upgrading" your phone and keep you from using your old phone with carriers that offer a cheaper alternative.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Subsidize phones are dumb anyways. Carriers locking your phone is also dumb. You are still in a 2 year contract so why does it matter to them? Damn lobbyist. Anyways, there is always the out of stock nexus 4 and the unlock iPhone 5 and HTC 8X on Verizon.[/citation]
I worked in the cell phone industry for a few years.
This is why. Phone cost at total retail value. $800. Phone cost at 2 year contract value. $199. Cost of Early Termination Fee of contract. $150 (depends on phone now adays). So whats stopping someone from buying the phone 2 year contract, then ending the contract and going to a different carrier. (not being able to unlock it ;) ).

So as you can see they do it so they don't lose money. There was a HUGE HUGE inflation of people that would buy iphones (when it was locked to AT&T only) End their contract and sell the phones jailbreak the phones and sell them on ebay for a huge profit.

On the other hand. Where there's push, there's pull. They do abuse this system and after a certain period i think your phone should be allowed to be unlocked. What i don't understand about this article is it says it'll be "legal" within 90 day time frame.. How the hell are they going to be able to tell?

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]what if I bring my unlocked cell phone into the US, or purchase an unlocked cell phone from abroad while in the US, or walk across the border into Mexico / Canada / take a fishing boat out of US territorial waters, unlock the phone, and then walk / row back?[/citation]

Trolling the yanks at its finest.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]if you are buying your phone... then why can't you do what you want with it assumign you care not committig a crime with it? .... pointless legislation is pointless[/citation]
Only thing I can think of is:

1. You don't usually have the phone "paid for" until the end of your contract period.

or

2. The mobile companies slipped the government $$$.

carbon12

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]what if I bring my unlocked cell phone into the US, or purchase an unlocked cell phone from abroad while in the US, or walk across the border into Mexico / Canada / take a fishing boat out of US territorial waters, unlock the phone, and then walk / row back?[/citation]

Reading comprehension fail... o_O

It is not illegal to purchase or be in possession of an unlocked handset... it is illegal to engage in the process of unlocking the handset.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I should be able to buy any phone and use it with any carrier service, plan and simple. If it means unlocking a phone to do so so be it.

/insert picture of Linus giving them the finger

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]I should be able to buy any phone and use it with any carrier service, plan and simple. If it means unlocking a phone to do so so be it./insert picture of Linus giving them the finger[/citation]
Then you can pay full price for said phone. Enjoy spending close to a grand for each new release.

[citation][nom]unoriginal1[/nom]Then you can pay full price for said phone. Enjoy spending close to a grand for each new release.[/citation]

When you consider the data plan they force upon you with a high end subsidized smart phone, the up front cost on an unlocked one usually saves you money over the life of that contract, still. There is no loyalty. T-mobile let me leave for another carrier after 7 years of service without putting up much of a fight.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Agreed. Not sticking up for the cell phone companies. They are expensive. And I was one of those A$$**** at one point in time who "let" customers walk. (we actually had a rating system) It depended on how much the consumer spent. Along with costs of providing services in that area, whether it was contracts with other cell companies to feed off their towers, Tower repair / upgrade costs. Etc Etc Etc. For instance. Someone in Death valley With a population of 1 would have a 1 star rating. We would Literally "try" to let them go. Versus someone maybe in San Diego who has unlimited everything is a 5 Star rating. We'd do just about everything to keep that person.

Just trying to challenge people to think about why would they do such a thing (not unlocking). Versus the common and typically wrong jump to conclusions of cell phone companies and gov are working together to screw over and take money from the common man :p.

Guess bottom line. cell companies are a business. Their goal is to make money.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Government is all about control. Government doesn't do anything to benefit the people. It seeks to control as much as possible in the name of the people's benefit. Just think about it the next time the government does anything you disagree with...or even agree with... It will all make sense.[/citation]

Irony it ent government it's your beloved private sector, you think the government sits around worrying whether a consumer product is locked or not, it's the private sector lobby who pushes for these laws instead saying its government make your voice bigger than the private sector businesses.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Irony it ent government it's your beloved private sector, you think the government sits around worrying whether a consumer product is locked or not, it's the private sector lobby who pushes for these laws instead saying its government make your voice bigger than the private sector businesses.[/citation]

Yes, corporations pay politicians to pass laws that favor them. So do labor unions. It's only natural to bribe those in power to do stuff for you. No one ever bribes me. Why not? I don't have the power to control anything.

Take powers away from government and this kind of disgusting behavior will stop.

Governmentis not the solution to our problems. Government IS the PROBLEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.