Unotelly for specific devices with Asus DSL-ac68u

Kindread

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Hi.

I am curently using an Asus DSL-ac68u. I would like to be able to set it up so that particular devices ( right now just a Roku ) use Unotelly DNS, while others use the default. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Failing that, I might have to get another router anyway to extend my network. Are there any decent ( and reasonably priced ) routers out there that would let me set DNS by device ?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
You won't be able to set per-device DNS server with consumer-level router. A small Linux box (Raspberry would go) working as DHCP/DNS server should solve your problem.

Kindread

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Oh, could I buy a cheap 3rd router and set it to use UnoTelly, and only connect devices I want on UnoTelly to it ? Or would its DNS settings be overriden by the Master router ?

Damn NetFlix...

You could do that only in router-behind-a-router setup. Second router (the one faking DNS resuests) WAN port connects to first router LAN port, using static setting. then setting up separate range for its local devices. And since most routers do not allow for LAN address range to be changed, look for a router which is DD-WRT-compatible.

As a side note: Can you set up your Roku with manual settings, and give it an IP address from your LAN, gateway address of your router, and DNS address for that famous unotelly?

Be aware they fixed the easy hack of changing the DNS in the roku. It is now hard coded to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 You have to actually block these....or do a destination nat on them. Most the guides recommend blocking them with a static route but that blocks the use of google dns for all the devices on the network.