Unpinned items from taskbar return on reboot

Letalis1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
Dear forum,

I got a custom Windows 10 install from the tech counter at my University, with some standard programs that are included in the price of the laptop (Office, Matlab is installed standard I believe). On the taskbar there are also some programs by default, of which 3 are Internet Explorer, Powerpoint and Excel, which I don't use enough to want them on the taskbar. Does anyone know a way to keep these programs away from the taskbar when I unpin them, even after rebooting? I am aware of this folder: %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\, but the effect removing the shortcuts from here, is also removed on reboot.

Thank you in advance!

Solution

The batch file is made to remove ALL of the programs so it will remove anything you want... and don't want. You deleted the 3 programs then ran the batch file? Try running the batch again but leave the 3 programs in place first to see if this...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, sure, this can be done manually. Let's look at what the batch file does. Below are the following lines of the batch file:

Created by: Shawn Brink
:: http://www.tenforums.com
:: Tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3151-taskbar-pinned-apps-reset-clear-windows-10-a.html
DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*"
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

The first 3 lines are comments and can be ignored. We'll focus on the last 4 lines.

The first line deletes all files (shortcuts) in the "Quick Launch \ User Pinned \ Taskbar" folder. This can be done manually by opening the Run dialog (Win+R shortcut) and type in:
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\
This should open a folder in your Users folder. Be sure that [hidden files and folders are turned on]. If everything looks correct, delete all of the files in that folder.

The 2nd line deletes some registry keys. This can be done manually by opening RegEdit.exe. Open the run dialog (Win+R) and type in:
regedit
This should open the registry editor. At the top you'll see a bar that starts with the word "Computer" on it. Click on it and paste in the following so we can quickly get to where we are going:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband
Now lets make a backup of it before we go editing it. Right click on the Taskband key and choose Export. Save the file do your desktop or documents folder. Call it something like "Backup - Save for a few days.reg".
Next, right click on Taskband again and choose Delete to delete the key. If something goes wrong later, you can double click on the backup file that you have created to re-add the information back to the registry.

The 3rd and 4th lines close Explorer out and reopens explorer. This is to reset explorer to see that the pinned icons are really gone. You can accomplish both of these by opening the Task Manager (right click on the taskbar and choose it from the menu) and find Windows Explorer, right click on it and choose Restart. Or you can just reboot which you might want to do anyway so you can test it.

I tested the batch file on my test system. Once done, I was left with only the "Mail" icon pinned to the taskbar which I unpinned.

I do recommend just running the batch file, it's easier and probably even safer than messing around in the registry yourself. But either way should work.

I hope this helps.

Letalis1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
Thank you for your input and effort, I ran the batch file. However, before I did that, I deleted the 3 programs that kept staying on there whatever I did. Now that I ran the batch file, it removed all the icons I added manually and READDED the ones that I wanted to delete. So these three programs (actually they are 6, but three of them I actually want to have there) are like a default setting I suppose. This takes the problem to a whole new level I think. Anyone knows how to fix it now? :'D

gardenman

Splendid

The batch file is made to remove ALL of the programs so it will remove anything you want... and don't want. You deleted the 3 programs then ran the batch file? Try running the batch again but leave the 3 programs in place first to see if this helps (it may not, but it's worth a try).

It could be a startup program that is automatically adding the pinned programs to the taskbar. You could try a clean boot right after running the batch file to see if they re-appear or not. If they don't, then it was one of the programs you disabled for the clean boot that is creating the pinning taskbar buttons.

First, carefully read the instructions for a [Clean Boot]. There are basically 2 steps, you disable all start up programs, and disable all 3rd party services. Do not disable Microsoft Services. Be sure the check the button "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom of the window..

When you do the clean boot, you may notice that several programs may not work as they usually do. This is normal.

If the pinned taskbar buttons don't show up while in the clean boot, then it was one of the programs that you disabled that is actually creating those taskbar buttons each time you boot up. Re-enable each of the programs a few at a time, rebooting each time, until you discover which program is re-adding the taskbar buttons. This will take several reboots. I would start by first re-enabling all Services, reboot. Then a few programs at a time, reboot.

If the pinned taskbar buttons do show up while in clean boot, then go ahead and re-enable everything you disabled for the clean boot. We will be back to where we started, with still no clear answer.

Solution