[SOLVED] Unplug RAID1 drive and boot from other drive

Sep 5, 2021
Hello
In my PC I have one SSD drive with Win10 and two HDD drives connected as RAID1. I would like to connect fourth drive with Linux. Can I just physically unplug my 3 drives (SSD, 2x HDD) and use only this with Linux? Later if I need windows connect all 3 discs and use windows without loosing any data? I would like to unplug this drives because I have couples ideas to test and I think my PC would run over 24h. I don't want to damage my discs with data . Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can yes and then plug it in after it is installed. You will have to hit the boot key to select that drive.

If you say just unplug you RAID 1 (Assuming that is data) and leave windows installed it can detect it and it can have a boot menu where you can select which one to pick

up to you
You can yes and then plug it in after it is installed. You will have to hit the boot key to select that drive.

If you say just unplug you RAID 1 (Assuming that is data) and leave windows installed it can detect it and it can have a boot menu where you can select which one to pick

up to you

Solution
Sep 5, 2021
Thank you for your answer I just would like to be sure. Can I unplug SSD and HDD drives and use only fourth one and later in some time connect again SSD with HDD and use also them without loosing any data?

Sep 5, 2021
Yes, I have also my data on external HDD so I have one more backup. I can try do to it on my own, but before I try to unplug. I would like to know if it can be risky :)

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I have also my data on external HDD so I have one more backup. I can try do to it on my own, but before I try to unplug. I would like to know if it can be risky :)
You have one backup. Not 'one more'.
The RAID thing you have is not a backup.

Disconnecting ALL current drives, and connecting a different one to install Linux on?
Should be no problem.

Reactions: horytnik