[SOLVED] Unplugged /plugged in a device Realtek audio manager freezing/lagging computer

Feb 22, 2020
Hello! Im having some computer trouble and im not very tech savvy so i hope i can get some help.

As the title says , my computer has started freezing and lagging anywhere from 5-20 seconds at a time at seemingly random times ,because i get a popup that says i have plugged in / out a headset ( Realtek HD audio manager) I have tried different headsets ,and it still occurs. It seems completely random to me ,it can be twice in 20minutes or once in 4 hours. happens both while playing games ,and just looking at youtube or randomly scrolling the internet. The sounds often gets "stuck" sounding terrible and "robotic" during the lag .

I have tried reinstalling drivers , updating drivers , changing to different headsets , checking cables so they are plugged in correctly etc , but beyond that i dont really know what could be the problem and just guessing is not getting me anywhere so im very thankful for any help i can get!

some specs incase it helps at all, if its anything Not sound related bugging out-

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Motherboard - ASUStek Prime H310M-E

RAM - 8GB

Please let me know if you need any more information and thanks alot for any answers!

Solution
Try a clean install of Windows (where you delete all pre-existing partitions - so backu[p data first)
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-install-Windows-10/
Allow Windows to handle all driver updates - except for the GPU which you can source direct from the Geforce website as normal.

If it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, it increases the likelihood that it's a hardware issue and that you'd need to contact Asus to use the warranty.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Is the headset plugged in at the front of the PC or at the rear (motherboard)?

Can you try the other connection?

If your monitor has a headphones port, can you plug the headset into that and use the sound from the GPU (assuming it's supplied by HDMI/DP) instead?

When did this start happening? If you look at the Windows update history, were there any updates around that time? Did you make any other changes, software or hardware around the time?

Feb 22, 2020
Is the headset plugged in at the front of the PC or at the rear (motherboard)?

Can you try the other connection?

If your monitor has a headphones port, can you plug the headset into that and use the sound from the GPU (assuming it's supplied by HDMI/DP) instead?

When did this start happening? If you look at the Windows update history, were there any updates around that time? Did you make any other changes, software or hardware around the time?

I have tried both front and back ,and through my keyboard (razer chroma) that also has ports ,although the keyboard goes in the back (motherboard)

My monitor does not have a port , Its been going on for maybe a month or so , But sometimes its once a day and sometimes its 5 times an hour. windows is up to date, And i dont know if rolling it back could help. might try that

Havent done any software or hardware changes to the PC since i built it.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Windows updates can sometimes break drivers / compatibility with hardware. So the question is, did any Windows updates happen around the time that the problem happened?

I wouldn't try rolling back as Windows rollback often doesn't entirely work anyway - a clean Windows install might be needed eventually, but worth ruling out other things first.

The drivers you have reinstalled as part of the troubleshooting - where did you source them from?

Do you use any driver updating software? (if you don't, don't download any!).

Feb 22, 2020
Windows updates can sometimes break drivers / compatibility with hardware. So the question is, did any Windows updates happen around the time that the problem happened?

I wouldn't try rolling back as Windows rollback often doesn't entirely work anyway - a clean Windows install might be needed eventually, but worth ruling out other things first.

The drivers you have reinstalled as part of the troubleshooting - where did you source them from?

Do you use any driver updating software? (if you don't, don't download any!).

I honestly dont know if there was any windows updates ,not that i can recall seeing but it automaticly updates right, so i dont really keep track. Is there any way to check ? Its hard though ,since im not exactly sure what date it started ,i feel like it was just very rare to begin with so i didnt care too much but now its daily

I only download drivers from the manufacturers websites , realtek ,nvidia etc and i do not use any updating software currently .

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Try a clean install of Windows (where you delete all pre-existing partitions - so backu[p data first)
Allow Windows to handle all driver updates - except for the GPU which you can source direct from the Geforce website as normal.

If it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, it increases the likelihood that it's a hardware issue and that you'd need to contact Asus to use the warranty.

Solution
Feb 22, 2020

Was hoping to avoid a clean install since it takes forever to reinstall things but it seems ive got no choice. Im very thankful for everyones replies and help and hopefully it will help.