Unplugging a printer from a computer

G

Hello,
Ive just been told that the reason my friends computer drivers have uninstalled is because she unplugged the printer without turning off the computer. Is that true?

mibix19

Distinguished
No is the short answer. Just plug the printer back in and windows should reinstall the drivers if needed.How does your friend know the drivers are uninstalled?

G

Thanks. what happened was she unplugged the printer from the computer because it wasnt working and then she couldnt get broadband. When she called sky the engineer told her it was because she'd unplugged the printer and this had uninstalled the computer drivers and she would have to re-install them.

Robbie

braxton1_19

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Even if drivers were automatically uninstalled after removing a device (which it is not) the drivers for network devices have nothing to do with the printer. The sky engineer is either lying or mistaken.

mibix19

Distinguished
If you cant get on the internet/broad band, ask to speak to a sky engineer who knows what he is talking about. They should be able to run tests from their end to find the cause of the problem. If they cannot fix it remotely from their end, they should talk you through what to do at your end. My son is on Sky and says there help is very good. You must have been unlucky and spoke to a muppet. Let us know how you get on. Disconnecting the printer did NOT cause the problem

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Simply moving a set-top box can make the connection unstable. Other devices like a TV tuner make it more complicated. Also every time I see a cable van upgrading service I get unstable connection. Disconnect with power off and reconnect, establish network and then check functions.

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I've never heard of that happening, but I think the bigger danger is that you can short out the port that it's plugged into.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team