Question Unpredictable Windows reboots on transferred PC hardware.

Dec 12, 2023
Hi, recently I ordered parts to transfer hardware from a pre-built Dell XPS 8940 so that I could improve cooling and generally upgrade the device. Assembling everything seemed to go smoothly, and I was able to get the computer set up fairly quick. Everything seemed fine until I ran into an issue with the computer spontaneously cutting to black and rebooting like a reset switch was pressed; power stays on, no components shut off, the debug LEDs cycle (normal boot behavior for the motherboard), and the computer boots to the Windows login screen.

Haven't had it happen while gaming (which I can do for sessions at a time with no issue) or under load, and haven't been able to reproduce it consistently. The most "consistent" reproduction was the issue occurring twice in a row when trying to install NVIDIA GPU drivers. (Oddly, unplugging my Razer Kraken receiver before trying again let the drivers install. Could be related, could be coincidence.)

This problem does not persist when I put the parts back in the original Dell case- as far as I'm able to tell. I want to say this is a motherboard issue but I need input and I'm pulling my hair out over this as I've been troubleshooting it for the past few days. Thank you in advance for any tips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONTEXT: Transferring parts from Dell XPS 8940 to new case, replacing/adding new parts.

PROBLEM: Spontaneous, Random PC Reboots in Windows. No BSoDs/explicit errors when happening.

NOTES:
  • Doesn't happen in original Dell casing/mobo.
  • Kernel-Power (41) error log in Event Viewer.
  • Near identical behavior to jumping/pressing the reset switch
  • Unpredictable. Happens at random without any particular timing/situation.
  • No problems with power outlet when using other devices of the same power draw.
  • Temperatures on CPU/GPU are normal
TRIED:
  • Clean Windows Installs
  • New SSD
  • Checking New Disk for errors
  • New Power Supply (ARESGAME AGV750 Bronze → EVGA Supernova 850 GT)
  • Updating BIOS + Drivers
  • Multiple Reassemblies
  • Clearing CMOS before reassembly
  • Stress Testing components; didn't reproduce problem.
  • Memtest86 (Ended it early but had no errors for 4 passes, about to redo overnight. Fully aware this is not conclusive.)
  • Disconnecting Power/Reset switch pins and jumping power instead
  • Turning OFF auto-restart in System Recovery
  • Turning OFF secure boot + fast boot in BIOS
SPECS:
* : New Hardware, NOT from Dell XPS 8940

CPU: Intel i7-11700 (No OC)
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H412R *
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z590 GAMING PLUS *
Ram: 32GB (16x2) DDR4/3200MHz/CL22, Micron Technology 8ATF2G64AZ-362B1
SSD/HDD: WD Blue SA510 1TB SATA SSD *
GPU: Dell RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (No OC)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W GT * (Replaced from ARESGAME AGV 750W * )
Chassis: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid-Tower ATX

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried to breadboard the build? if it works outside either case and in old, but not new... looks like case is cause. could be something shorting it out maybe. See if any lose screws rattling around in case, for example.

kernel event 41 (63) is a reaction to a restart, its not the cause of one. Windows runs a report at startup and if it found previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates the event.

Dec 12, 2023
tried to breadboard the build? if it works outside either case and in old, but not new... looks like case is cause. could be something shorting it out maybe. See if any lose screws rattling around in case, for example.

kernel event 41 (63) is a reaction to a restart, its not the cause of one. Windows runs a report at startup and if it found previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates the event.
I haven’t tried breadboarding. I will try this tomorrow after I run memtest83 again overnight.

Dec 12, 2023

Ive been running the pc out of the case for a bit with no restarts, however I’m reluctant to say that this is conclusive as the restarts have been unpredictable. Can you explain to me any reason why the case could be causing this to happen? I’ve never heard of that being a problem before, and I’m curious.

Dec 12, 2023
Hi guys, I ended up returning the motherboard and upgrading both my CPU and the Motherboard. Haven’t had the problem since. The issue seemed to be the motherboard.