Question Unreal Engine 4 causes blue screen of death. UE4 is the ONLY time I get BSOD. What to do?

May 27, 2019
Someone PLEASE HELP. My PC is fine running everything else, but when I run Unreal Engine 4, I get BSOD constantly, not everytime, but a lot. Can someone give me suggestions thanks. These are some of my specs.

Asus motherboard M5 A97 LE R2.0
Geforce GTX 960
Valens 700M
AMD FX Processor Black Edition FX 6300

I believe that it might be hardware related such as the power supply. Or possibly driver related. I am posting in Systems because the problem could just only happen in Unreal Engine 4, but is not necessarily caused by it.

Many things cause it. Clicking on several different things in the engine, connecting something in blueprints, putting down foliage, adjusting the viewport, and changing the engine scalability settings from epic to high, etc.

I recieve Event Id: 41 in event log. Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

My pc started getting BSOD sometime last July in 2018. I've tried fixing it but haven't. I usually get it when I am doing certain things in Unreal Engine 4 such as putting down grass, changing settings from epic to high, etc. As far as I know, this only happens when using Unreal Engine 4 and it is slowing me down. I check the event log and I receive a critical error. I appreciate any help.

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting dowm first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Last edited by a moderator:
from PC Tailor:
The critical error 41 is just s generic power loss error that you get whenever the PC suddenly shuts down or reboots. You would yield the same error if you simply press the reset button on your case. So this is not an indicator of the problem, just indicates the problem is causing a shut down.

What BSOD are you getting? Are you able to access the dump files?
Everything you are explaining as causing the BSOD are GPU based issues at first glance, do you have latest GPU drivers installed?
Equally do you have latest BIOS installed?
Have you checked temperatures of your components under load?
Are you running an overclock at all?

May 27, 2019
Thanks for the help. I am not sure where dump files are located. But I think I found out the cause of my problem shortly after posting this question. I disabled one of my audio drivers, uninstalled the gpu driver and then reinstalled it. Then I tried recreating the problem in Unreal Engine 4. Adjusting the viewport and putting down a lot of grass. Instead of my pc shutting down, the surge protector made a continuing loud beeping sound. The sound would stop right when I would close out the Unreal Engine 4 project or undo what caused it to beep. That was when my pc was plugged into the battery side. Now my pc is in the surge protector only side(instead of the battery + surge protector). I tried recreating the problem again, but fortunately it didn't beep or restart or give be a blue screen. So I believe that was the problem, the surge protector.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The dump files are usually in your root directory (C:\) or in C:\Minidump (or similar).

It could well be.

Either way, if you believe the issue seems to have been solved, then no worries, select the best answer / solution and then by all accounts post back here if you encounter the issue again!

May 27, 2019
It didnt fix it. Everytime I try to update windows 10 from version 1511 it doesnt work. PC just restarted and got blue screened. Also it is not recording dump files. What to do now?

May 27, 2019
Also blue screens are happening more frequently. Not only during Unreal Engine 4 but also while trying to update windows 10 version 1511 which I am stuck on. Please help.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
How do I check if I have the latest BIOS installed?
If go to Start Menu and type "System information" and open the system information window. You'll find a line on the main page with "BIOS Version"

Also how do I check temperature
You can use a third party temperature monitoring program such as HWInfo - it's important that it is individual core temperatures under load as the overall CPU doesn't really give enough detail.

and overclock?
If you don't know how to check it, I'd suspect you haven't put any on, because it's a manual change. In effect you'd check in the BIOS or through your Task Manager that your components are running at the rated speeds. But honestly, if you haven't done it yourself and the computer wasn't bought off someone who pre-overclocked it, it probably isn't overclocked.

May 27, 2019
chkdsk doesnt work. It runs for a minute or so and then blue screens. Is my ram bad? At the start of a day, my pc works MOST of the time, then I use a program, pc blue screens, and does not work. Until a new day or several hours later it does. Or would that be overheating? And when I tried reinstalling windows 10, my pc would still crash.