News Unreal Engine supervisor blasts 50% failure rate with Intel chips — company switching to Ryzen 9 9900X, praises AMD's praises AMD's single-threade...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

docboy

Prominent
Jun 1, 2023
I believe so. I tried updating my motherboard's BIOS in the past, but there was a slight decrease in my CPU's performance, so i didn't like it and i reverted to the old one.

By the way, this is a list of BIOS updates for my motherboard. Do you think i should choose the latest
G Lightning/index.asp#BIOS
I built a 13700k system last year with a Asrock MB. I was debating between the 13600k, 13700k, and 13900k. Now I feel like I should have went with the 13600k or even the 12900k.

After I built the system and everything was stable (I had to RMA the XFX 6950X video card after games and video playback kept crashing) I updated the bios in the MB, and suddenly Windows 11 didn't like the product ID (which I used from an old HP Windows 10 laptop I had). MS tech support was useless, as they had me try multiple keys that didn't work. Eventually I had to get a new Win 11 key.

So now I'm afraid to update the bios.

Did you end up updating the bios? Did your existing Windows product ID hold up?

Reactions: valthuer

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
I built a 13700k system last year with a Asrock MB. I was debating between the 13600k, 13700k, and 13900k. Now I feel like I should have went with the 13600k or even the 12900k.

After I built the system and everything was stable (I had to RMA the XFX 6950X video card after games and video playback kept crashing) I updated the bios in the MB, and suddenly Windows 11 didn't like the product ID (which I used from an old HP Windows 10 laptop I had). MS tech support was useless, as they had me try multiple keys that didn't work. Eventually I had to get a new Win 11 key.

So now I'm afraid to update the bios.

Did you end up updating the bios? Did your existing Windows product ID hold up?

Yeah, i tried updating my BIOS in the past and it did happen to me as well.

Apparently, for Windows 11, updating your BIOS can be counted as a fundamental change in your system, that has to be verified by acquiring a new key.

Sucks!

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Yeah, i tried updating my BIOS in the past and it did happen to me as well.

Apparently, for Windows 11, updating your BIOS can be counted as a fundamental change in your system, that has to be verified by acquiring a new key.

Sucks!
Not with a dTPM. Might just be an fTPM thing. I have had to get a new key with a new BIOS in my fTPM 13600k PC but thought it was some sort of glitch. I've gone through several with my 13900kf dTPM setup getting that APO to work and never had an issue. Might be the only thing an fTPM is good for on an Intel system.

Reactions: valthuer
Smaller nodes are naturally more sensitive to higher voltages because resistance in the copper wire connects increases; so, 14nm can actually handle higher power draw better than its smaller node cousins on 10nm or Intel 7. There's also a density increase, so you have more localized hotspotting within a smaller area than before. If Intel willingly wanted to reduce lifespan of their chips from 8-15 years to 3-5 years, increased heat and increased voltages (at high core load, so very high current draw) for prolonged periods would do that.

However, it seems to be a calculation error within microcode. I'm sure there will be internal staffing "corrections" associated with this. CPUs are irreversibly damaged and will have to be replaced in a mass recall campaign.
I think Intel's definitely walking a lot narrower of a line now too. They lose the performance lead claim if they don't push it to the limit. I bet their expected lifespan is a lot shorter now too though. Maybe not 3-5 years, but I bet 10 years is no longer expected.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
If it works, you don't upgrade your bios. Newest bios doesn't mean it's better. Latest bios on my z690 crashes at default settings on my 12900k.

What you should do is go with intel recommended specs (250w pl2, 307a), disable TVB and ST boost and you should be good to go.
I disagree with this.

As the Intel just let us know, there is a bug in voltage selection in microcode. The only way to fix that is with BIOS update. Changing all other settings will just reduce the chance of the problem surfacing, but not eliminate it or prevent (further) degradation.

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
Normally, if it works don’t touch it but in this situation.. intel claims to be bringing necessary fixes to “prevent “ further degradation in August.

Your cpu may not be exhibiting problems today, this does not mean it is not degraded. It only means that it has not reached the threshold to crash.
Yeah but those fixes should be applied to CPUs running at default I assume. If he manually disables all the boosting BS he should be theoretically fine.

There is also an option in the bios that allows the CPU to boost freely to it's heart contents but with a hard voltage cap that you can manually set - I guess that's the easiest way to stop these shaenanigans. You cap it to 1.35v or whatever and let it run whatever clocks it wants up until the voltage cap.

Mar 10, 2020
Yeah but those fixes should be applied to CPUs running at default I assume. If he manually disables all the boosting BS he should be theoretically fine.

There is also an option in the bios that allows the CPU to boost freely to it's heart contents but with a hard voltage cap that you can manually set - I guess that's the easiest way to stop these shaenanigans. You cap it to 1.35v or whatever and let it run whatever clocks it wants up until the voltage cap.
Bios updates on my ryzen system set the pc into a default state where xmp is off, any overclock is reset, pbo is off, smart access memory is off. A safe state.

WRT the voltages, the existing microcode (from the intel statement) has faulty algorithms for the values requested. The new microcode is supposed to fix this? If so update in August.