Unreal PC Build

Magnus1982

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Hi, i wanted to start using unreal for game development. I would like to know what the best pc build would be for that as well as gaming. I care about performance & i want to play at 4k ultra settings with games as well as have smooth transitions with unreal. I have one 4k t.v & will be getting a 4k curve monitor soon. My price range is 2000$ to 3000$. The most i will go is 3500$ thank you for your help.

Solution
Build starts with an i7-8700K which has 6 cores and a fast single core speed. Depending on what you are doing you might or might not need more cores but for development work you want a fast single core speed. The 1080 Ti will game at 4K Ultra settings. Looked at dual 1070 Ti's but I am always concerned about driver issues with SLI setups. The 32GB of RAM should be enough although it might be better to get 64GB. RAM is really expensive these days. And let's not talk about GPU pricing. Two 3TB HDD's that you can set up in a RAID 1 configuration to protect your data. Optane SSD drive which will really improve your storage calls during editing and rendering. Nice case and a platinum PSU with room for expansion and overclock...
Build starts with an i7-8700K which has 6 cores and a fast single core speed. Depending on what you are doing you might or might not need more cores but for development work you want a fast single core speed. The 1080 Ti will game at 4K Ultra settings. Looked at dual 1070 Ti's but I am always concerned about driver issues with SLI setups. The 32GB of RAM should be enough although it might be better to get 64GB. RAM is really expensive these days. And let's not talk about GPU pricing. Two 3TB HDD's that you can set up in a RAID 1 configuration to protect your data. Optane SSD drive which will really improve your storage calls during editing and rendering. Nice case and a platinum PSU with room for expansion and overclock.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDCbsJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDCbsJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($161.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team - NIGHT HAWK 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($380.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($1099.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - Air 740 ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Optane SSD 900P 280GB AIC ($388.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2987.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-22 12:47 EST-0500

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the game.

But does that mean the 1080 Ti is capable of running any and every current game at 4K ultra settings and 60+ fps? No. Because there are still beastly games like Deus Ex, which even with the very high preset only manages 43 fps—without 4xMSAA. Another game in that same ballpark is Ghost Recon Wildlands, at least in its just launched state, which averages just 37 fps on the 1080 Ti at 4K using the ultra preset

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Just to be honest with you. 4K TV for gaming that is fine but the input lag and response time sux really hard if you play FPS games.

Now we get into Unreal Engine (Free YA) I use it, you can use it. Their a bunch more you need to know besides how to just use that. You need to learn code and use something to make assets for it to import. It is almost imposable to make a muti-player game that will run good with 20 people or so on the same screen, you just can't optimize the game engine good enough the better you make it look the worst it gets. Game example would be https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Your not going to make the next BF1 or whatever with it but it is good for learning a skill. Game development companies have a ton of money, time, and special people working. Some are just designers, some just write code, some specialize in lighting, etc,etc.etc.................

If you look at my PC here. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/68VYcf
The only thing that has changed is some of the drives and I have added another set of the memory for 32GB the most I have seen used is about 24GB (this could change with more cores on the processor or higher overclock). This is my main uses of the PC with really no problems.
After Effects, Blender, MS Visual Studio, Unreal Engine, Editing, and Gaming.

If your really going to get into game design then your going to need a good backup system also for your work for the hard drives. True story I worked about 7 hours on code and did not back up my work and the next time I turned on my PC that drive was dead. 7 freaking hours of work gone!

Very sorry for the wall of text but just my thoughts. The price of video cards is retarded right now (over 1K for a GTX 1080ti that was in the 650 range before) and no single card is really up to all games in 4K right now it might be with the next generation but as of now 2K is still the sweet spot.

lakimens

Honorable

I'd like to note that it's been a bad time to buy a card for half a year now and it's only getting worse :D

I suspect the market will saturate soon, sooner if South Korea outlaws cryptocurrency exchanges. Money laundering is an issue.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5396239/bitcoin-price-investors-selling-gold-value-collapse/

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

That is why I'm upgrading my PC to a i7-7820X but still keeping my GTX 980 ( 439 bucks when I bought it about on par with a GTX 1070 /ti if you can find one for what the 800 buck area) for now with my tax refund.