Question UnReal Tournament runs better on new PC than old one

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Me and a friend got to talking about how much we miss the old days when a bunch of us would get together and Lan play the original Unreal Tournament. I actually believed it was due to hardware getting to fast for the game to work normally, until today. I opened it and my jaw was on the floor as it ran perfectly fine, despite every system I have had in the past 15 years causing it to run at insane speeds... I even tried other games that had been unplayable and they also work fine????

I have a intel 11400f cpu, asroc z590 extreme mb, 32 gb of skill tirdent z 3200 ddr4 and a radeon 6700xt 12gb video card. right now, and the last time i tried to run it I had a much slower build and the game went nuts and ran at a speed I could not even keep up with.

At this time and talking with everybody else who is trying to get it to run, the biggest difference we have is that I have an intel cpu vs them having a AMD.

To me this crazy, that the most powerful system I have ever owned can run the games my older and slower systems made unplayable...

One friend sent me his current system specs and he has Ryzen 3 2200GE with vega integrated graphics...

At this time I seem t be the only one out of everyone that is able to play again, that has an intel cpu and now they all want to know how I can run it normally and my best guess is that I have an intel cpu....

My best guess is that there is some scaling being done within my Intel CPU that AMD does not have.... Anyone have any type of explanation and I am at an absolute loss?????

[mod edit: title changed to match subject, also moved to PC Gaming area.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"To me this crazy, that the most powerful system I have ever owned can run the games my older and slower systems made unplayable..."

Not sure about the issue here.

If you look at the game's recommended hardware specs and then compare old PC to new PC then I would expect (sight unseen) that the new PC would perform better.

Could also be due to improvements/changes in the host OS, component drivers, networking/internet connectivity, and other variables.

Also: "and my best guess is that I have an intel cpu.... "

No need to guess.

Use "WIN" + "I" > System > About to determine what processor is installed.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Lol if I had to guess, that's because mouse sensitivity has crept up to speeds unplayable on a game from 1999. Back then, the fastest mice were 400dpi and even the famous MX300 and MX500 from 2002 were native 400dpi with a selectable simulated/interpolated 800dpi speed in the driver.

You may just have your Windows mouse sensitivity turned way down to make a modern 16000dpi mouse actually usable, and they don't. Tell them to try turning both the Windows and in-game mouse sensitivity down nearly all the way.

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
The issue is that I am trying to figure out why this pc runs these older games fine, and my friends can not... After finally getting replies from everyone, the primary difference is I have a intel based system now and they all have AMD.

After putting UT on one of my old builds ( I rebuilt it for mom), the game went as nuts fast as before. It is not mouse speed, but you will have to be the flash to play as the game is accelerated to inhuman speeds.

So apparently there is some timing issues with games that use the original unreal engine as other games that i have that use it are now working fine also as I switched back to an intel based system.

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
UT99, loved it back in the day, played every friday night with a pal of mine over dial up for 3 hours at 50p an hour lol. And have it installed on my 12th gen system as well, fantastic game.

Reactions: shadowxsx

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
This:

"To me this crazy, that the most powerful system I have ever owned can run the games my older and slower systems made unplayable..."

Not sure about the issue here.

If you look at the game's recommended hardware specs and then compare old PC to new PC then I would expect (sight unseen) that the new PC would perform better.

Could also be due to improvements/changes in the host OS, component drivers, networking/internet connectivity, and other variables.

Also: "and my best guess is that I have an intel cpu.... "

No need to guess.

Use "WIN" + "I" > System > About to determine what processor is installed.

Before I upgraded to this build I had a AMD FX-8350 black edition and the games ran at insane speeds that only the flash (yes the guy in DC comics that can run super fast) could play at those speeds. I thought that it was simply the game engine was older and the newer hardware caused it to malfunction. After my most recent build, somehow all those older games somehow are playing just like they did 20 years ago.

I was hoping it was not a CPU based issue as we all want to get together again and play like we used to as the network is still installed where we used to play. Or maybe someone may know of the issue and have a solution. But the CPU/chipset is standing out as the cause of all the problems. Maybe it is a controller/chipset or even a CPU based issue, but as I built this computer and the primary difference from my older builds is that this is a Intel based system and it runs those older games perfectly fine...

PS... "Use "WIN" + "I" > System > About to determine what processor is installed." I do not need to as I have built every PC since my old P2 based system when I was 18 and I am 45 now. With one exception, when my friend sold me his old compaq P3, with rambus memory for $50.