[SOLVED] Unresponsive Task Manager

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Whenever I open up my task manager especially when my laptop is hanging due to some unresponsive apps, it seems that my task manager will also become unresponsive. I remember back in those days when I was using my old laptop, task manager had always been helpful when it comes to lagging issue. Just Ctrl + Alt + Del would bring it up almost instantly most of the time(despite the lag) , and making me able to force close any apps that could be the culprit of lag.

But now I'm struggling whenever my laptop is hanging, because there is no other way I can stop it or check what could be responsible for the lag. The only thing I can do now is FORCE SHUTDOWN my laptop using the power button which I'm afraid could be detrimental to my laptop.

Can someone offer some advice on this Task Manager issue or how I should deal with laptop hanging issue? Many thanks in advance!

Solution
So does it mean that, the free space available on the SSD actually affect the responsiveness of my task manager? I sometimes have problems of unresponsiveness when trying to open up google chrome, or clicking on the right bottom taskbar (the wifi, clock and etc) .

Yes, it could. As ssd slow down immensely when they have less than 10% free space, so it could slow everything down. - https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/ - the more free space an ssd has, the tidier it can keep what is on there. Unlike a hdd which just lets trash accumulate

you might want to run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php on laptop and test both drives out.

you might...

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
what make/model laptop is it?

i think both are related, as task manager only hangs after the apps do.
Thanks for the reply Colif.

I'm using Lenovo Legion Y520. But I still remembered that my previous laptop, even if an app or a game was not responsive, I'd still be able to open up my task manager and force close any unresponsive apps. But right now it seems that, whenever any app is hanging, I won't be able to open up my task manager anymore. It seems task manager has become very lousy, it is no longer as fast as it used to be, it takes time to open up and hang quite frequently.

Could it be my laptop problem or that Task Manager nowadays has always been like this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this it?
  • CPU model: Intel i5-7300HQ, 2.5GHz.
  • RAM type: DDR4.
  • SSD: 128 GB.
  • Graphics card model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.
how much free space on the drive?
128gb isn't a lot anymore, we normally suggest double or more now.

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Is this it?
  • CPU model: Intel i5-7300HQ, 2.5GHz.
  • RAM type: DDR4.
  • SSD: 128 GB.
  • Graphics card model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.
how much free space on the drive?
128gb isn't a lot anymore, we normally suggest double or more now.
Hi Colif, sorry for the late reply. Yes the laptop details above are mostly correct except for the processor which should be Intel i7 with 1050 TI , 128 gb SSD and 1tb HHD.

To be honest, I don't have much free space on the SSD as it is only 128 gb, and my video projects always take up a lot of space on the disk. Generally it is always left with somewhere around 10gb+ ( I have to do the cleaning on my cached video files frequently)

So does it mean that, the free space available on the SSD actually affect the responsiveness of my task manager? I sometimes have problems of unresponsiveness when trying to open up google chrome, or clicking on the right bottom taskbar (the wifi, clock and etc) . So i'm quite discouraged at times as I have no ideas what could have caused this.

Appreciate if you can share your expertise as to what i can do to mitigate the problems. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
So does it mean that, the free space available on the SSD actually affect the responsiveness of my task manager? I sometimes have problems of unresponsiveness when trying to open up google chrome, or clicking on the right bottom taskbar (the wifi, clock and etc) .

Yes, it could. As ssd slow down immensely when they have less than 10% free space, so it could slow everything down. - https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/ - the more free space an ssd has, the tidier it can keep what is on there. Unlike a hdd which just lets trash accumulate

you might want to run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php on laptop and test both drives out.

you might want to consider a bigger ssd as then you won't slow down as fast. 128 is on the small size for win 10 and we generally suggest something 2 to 3 times bigger now.
I assume the video projects are on hdd?

have you run defrag on hdd? its being full won't affect its speed as much as an ssd though. It still doesn't help to have trash all over the place.

Solution