[SOLVED] unsafe shutdown count, external enclosure

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I am using a XG4 512GB drive in a Orico enclusure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G14NBCS/

I noticed that the Unsafe Shutdown count of the drive is very high, and found that everytime I disconnect the drive, the count increases. I tried
(1) "safely disconnect USB" from Windows then unplug
(2) shutdown the computer properly then unplug

both the cases added unsafe shutdowns.

Is there any way I can safely unplug external SSD without causing abrupt power loss for SSD's background work? I am pretty sure at some point it can cause some problem for the SSD. My understanding is that when the OS shuts down or goes to sleep, it sends some sort of command to SSD so it can prepare for the power cut. Apparently, those commands do not reach external SSDs.

Solution
And the enclosure/drive works without any other problems - correct?

Source of the unsafe shutdown count?

If the enclosure is tested and safely disconnected on other known working computers does the unsafe shutdown count increase?

= = = =

Does the enclosure/drive appear in the Disk Management Window?

If so, expand the Disk Management window so all details are visible.

Do a screen capture of the Disk Management window and post the results here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

One immediate thought is buggy or corrupted software.

Try the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise "sfc /scannow" and "dism"...

Ralston18

Titan
In the lower right screen corner do you see a upward pointing >

Left click the arrow.

A small menu of icons should appear. There should be an icon that looks like a USB plug. Almost more mouse like though.

If you click that icon you should be presented with Eject options for attached USB drives

Select the drive you wish to unplug/ Eject.

You may need to confirm the eject or close out any programs or windows using the device.

Allow the disconnect process to fully complete before physically unplugging.

There should be "Safe to Remove" pop-up Window.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
In the lower right screen corner do you see a upward pointing >

Left click the arrow.

A small menu of icons should appear. There should be an icon that looks like a USB plug. Almost more mouse like though.

If you click that icon you should be presented with Eject options for attached USB drives

Select the drive you wish to unplug/ Eject.

You may need to confirm the eject or close out any programs or windows using the device.

Allow the disconnect process to fully complete before physically unplugging.

There should be "Safe to Remove" pop-up Window.
your description is exactly what I meant by "(1) "safely disconnect USB" from Windows then unplug ",
and doing that before unplugging didn't prevent another unsafe shutdown.

Ralston18

Titan
And the enclosure/drive works without any other problems - correct?

Source of the unsafe shutdown count?

If the enclosure is tested and safely disconnected on other known working computers does the unsafe shutdown count increase?

= = = =

Does the enclosure/drive appear in the Disk Management Window?

If so, expand the Disk Management window so all details are visible.

Do a screen capture of the Disk Management window and post the results here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

One immediate thought is buggy or corrupted software.

Try the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Solution