[SOLVED] Unstable Computer (NEW)

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
My setup is an Asus Pro B460M-C with an Intel Core i7 10700k 8-core 3.8ghz with a 500w PSU.

I imagined the system with W10, installed all the drivers and it works great.
I unplug and move the system to another location, now windows doesn't boot. BIOS appears on the screen, but after that, nothing.

Reimaged again, reinstalled everything, left running for hours and it worked perfectly fine.
Moved locations again, and same issue occurring. Tried bringing it back to its original location and nothing.

Any ideas what is going on?

So if I understand you correct, at one location it always work and in another location it never work?

My guess is there are problems with power grid at the other location, so that either the PSU having touble or there may be an earth-ground fault (may not even be located in the same house) that cause connected components (like network card) to pick up noise or transmit return current.

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
So if I understand you correct, at one location it always work and in another location it never work?

My guess is there are problems with power grid at the other location, so that either the PSU having touble or there may be an earth-ground fault (may not even be located in the same house) that cause connected components (like network card) to pick up noise or transmit return current.

I think something is happening in transit causing failure. The location it is being brought to is the tech lab, where hundreds of computers are hooked up and worked on. I've reimaged and brought to location 1 and it still had issues. I can make it work at any of the locations, but once I unhook and move to another area, blackout, with the exception of BIOS.

I think something is happening in transit causing failure. The location it is being brought to is the tech lab, where hundreds of computers are hooked up and worked on. I've reimaged and brought to location 1 and it still had issues. I can make it work at any of the locations, but once I unhook and move to another area, blackout, with the exception of BIOS.
What is the exact drive the OS is installed on?

I imagined the system with W10, installed all the drivers and it works great.
What does that mean "I imagined the system with W10" ? Did you mean - you restored drive from previously created image?
I unplug and move the system to another location, now windows doesn't boot. BIOS appears on the screen, but after that, nothing.
What error do you get?
Are storage devices being detected in BIOS?
BTW - what storage devices are there?

BIOS settings get reset? Replace BIOS battery.

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
What is the exact drive the OS is installed on?
The default C drive.

What does that mean "I imagined the system with W10" ? Did you mean - you restored drive from previously created image?

What error do you get?
Are storage devices being detected in BIOS?
BTW - what storage devices are there?

BIOS settings get reset? Replace BIOS battery.

Sorry, reimaged.

I am using a 500GB 32mb sata HDD and yes, BIOS does detect it still.
I am not seeing an errors pop up either.

I've reset, reseated battery, RAM and ensured all plugs are fully seated.

logainofhades

Titan
If you value your PC hardware, and your home, get rid of that fire hazard, and get a quality unit. Also, to install windows, if I am getting what you are doing right, should be installed with the drive in the system you intend to use it on, using Windows Media creation tool, via USB drive.

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Reformatted it again, installing drivers. Did a disk check and no errors.
Going to let it run overnight. Could it be the MOBO? Or would it be the Hard drive? Stumped on why once it gets moved it all goes to crap. Restarts work

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
What happens, if you disconnect your pc from power and turn back on after ~30min? (without moving it around)
The first time it happened, it had been unplugged for over an hour before it was reconnected. That was when we first noticed the issue. Like when it is supposed to be booting into windows, the monitor acts as if it’s talking with the computer, just no video and then after a few minutes it goes to sleep. But not once does it say no signal.

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Okay - I reformatted it again. Got the drivers installed and was planning on getting it on the domain today.

No moving, no rattling, nothing. Powered it down for the night. Turned it on this morning and nothing. Gives me the ASUS screen, and boot into BIOS, but no Windows booting. Checked BIOS and it still recognizes the HDD.

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Tried another HDD, installed W10, installed Lan Driver, power off for half hour, turned back on and nothing again.

Is it safe to say the MOBO is <Mod Edit>?

Last edited by a moderator:

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
As me and @logainofhades have said previously its literally a ticking timebomb that you would get rid of regardless of your issue if you value your computer and the parts inside of it. See my previous post for a PSU recommendation.
Okay, I will go ahead and replace it with the EVGA SuperNOVA.
For the time being though, I just took the multimeter and tested the PSU to MOBO pins, and PSU to HDD pins. All numbers are coming back good.