unstable connection, new router needed?

astraeos

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
I'm experiencing some annoying problems with my router. I currently have Comcast as my ISP (pretty much the best I can get where I live, I also do not have control over the ISP i get), and I upgraded my old router for a new one about a year ago. But I have a lot of people in my house that are usually connected all at one time, which is what we assume is the problem.

I fairly decent with Computer tech but I know almost nothing about Routers/wifi/etc other than whats a good upload/download speed. The issue we have is happens a couple of times a day where we will lose connection to the internet. I'll usually reset it and it will be good for a bit but eventually it will go down again.

Would buying a better router that could support more than the basic one we got from out ISP fix the problem? Or is it something else? Thank you for your time~

Solution
If you have the basic router provided by the ISP then yes you should first try upgrading that first. What the ISP gives you is garbage, generally something they got for next to nothing. Often a company with a crappy modem/router will offload it to the ISP for super cheap when they cant sell their crap to the consumer market.

For multiple user traffic I really like what I have which is an ASUS AC68P (AC68U/R/W are pretty much the same).

I would also suggest getting your own modem to avoid their ridiculous monthly rental fees. If you do not have a 200mbps or faster connection then a Zoom 5341J is a great modem that you can pickup for around $50 on amazon.
If you have the basic router provided by the ISP then yes you should first try upgrading that first. What the ISP gives you is garbage, generally something they got for next to nothing. Often a company with a crappy modem/router will offload it to the ISP for super cheap when they cant sell their crap to the consumer market.

For multiple user traffic I really like what I have which is an ASUS AC68P (AC68U/R/W are pretty much the same).

I would also suggest getting your own modem to avoid their ridiculous monthly rental fees. If you do not have a 200mbps or faster connection then a Zoom 5341J is a great modem that you can pickup for around $50 on amazon.

Solution