[SOLVED] Unstable connection using onboard wifi

bendrjackson

Commendable
Sep 11, 2017
Fairly recently my motherboard's onboard wifi started having issues (I'm on an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-e.) Every 5 seconds or so the download and upload completely cut off for a few seconds. The result is that anything I'm doing with the internet, whether I'm watching youtube, doing online gaming or downloading a file, everything just cuts off. Speedtest.net sees lots of dips while a ping test shows spikes at over 3000ms, often just timing out. Task manager sees my speeds drop straight down to 0 for a few seconds, back up for about 5 seconds and then repeat. Windows says its a full connection and using my old usb wifi adaptor stops the drops outs (at the cost of slower speeds.)

I just tried using InSSIDer to see my networking environment using the onboard wifi. If I do anything while the program is running, the internet immediately drops out completely with "connected, no internet" which seems to flicker and the other networks that is detected gets dropped from the list and comes back every few seconds (this is using the onboard wifi.) I'm no longer sure if its interference or my antenna has become faulty. Its worth noting that the motherboard was serviced before for an unrelated problem.

I have tried:
Adjusting and reconnecting antenna
Restarting Windows
Killing processes on task manager
Doing a clean boot
Resetting the wifi adaptor
Resetting my network
Updating adaptor drivers
Resetting adaptor to factory defaults
Flushing DNS
Updating BIOS
Downgrading BIOS
Resetting Windows (personal files kept)

Solution
Well you've done everything imaginable at this point for the wifi card, even gone as far as resetting windows, though resetting would not really solve the issue since all registries and drivers installed would still be there, a pure reinstall might fix it. You can try that if you're completely out of all other ideas. If even that doesn't work, then you just got a bad luck of the draw and have a bad onboard wifi card.
Check the device functionality in Device manager. Though I think you might've already done this. I see you updated the drivers, but what about completely uninstalling and reinstalling them?

Some wifi cards also shut down on their own as a 'power saving' setting. Try also setting your computer to high performance mode in the power settings.

bendrjackson

Commendable
Sep 11, 2017
Check the device functionality in Device manager. Though I think you might've already done this. I see you updated the drivers, but what about completely uninstalling and reinstalling them?

Some wifi cards also shut down on their own as a 'power saving' setting. Try also setting your computer to high performance mode in the power settings.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but the problem persists. I also disabled the power saving feature and checked if its on high performance, but no luck

Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but the problem persists. I also disabled the power saving feature and checked if its on high performance, but no luck

I don't see on the list of things you did talk about anything regarding the router and modem itself. Are those behaving with your phone and other devices? In my perspective you've tried everything you could with the mobo wifi, in fact a little too much. You most likely have a bunk wifi chip on that board.

bendrjackson

Commendable
Sep 11, 2017
I don't see on the list of things you did talk about anything regarding the router and modem itself. Are those behaving with your phone and other devices? In my perspective you've tried everything you could with the mobo wifi, in fact a little too much. You most likely have a bunk wifi chip on that board.
My phone and laptop have a consistent connection even further away than my pc is, and the modem settings are nothing out of the ordinary. I tried both 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies

Well you've done everything imaginable at this point for the wifi card, even gone as far as resetting windows, though resetting would not really solve the issue since all registries and drivers installed would still be there, a pure reinstall might fix it. You can try that if you're completely out of all other ideas. If even that doesn't work, then you just got a bad luck of the draw and have a bad onboard wifi card.

Solution