[SOLVED] Unstable internet issue

Jan 11, 2019
I recently moved into a new apartment and the internet has been really strange. Every once in a while they'll be pockets of days where the internet is unstable. Sometimes it will load a page and the next minute won't load up at all stuck connecting. Spotify shows it goes online and offline so my playlist will stop and go. Seems to get a little better when I unplug the modem but usually only a short term fix. In the mornings, I definitely will have to reset it because when I wake up I have no connection at all.
The odd thing is, some weeks, I have zero issues and on some days it goes in and out.

What I've done to troubleshoot:
Tested with 3 different phones, a tablet and 2 computers through wifi and tested it with 3 computers wired. All devices having the same unstable issue. Checked all the drivers, even bought a new wifi dongle for the desktop just to rule out any hardware issues as well as tried multiple cables and wires to rule out any issues there.

Had a tech come out to check the box and the wires I did not have access to. He swapped out the lines and replaced any connections that may have had some rust. He did a speedtest from his end and the results were good. I ran it three times as well with my devices and we got the same results. About an hour later, the issue came back. This was yesterday and my ISP said they had no outages in my area. I've searched through this forum and tried a bunch of the adjustments as far as changing things in the network properties and made the recommended setting adjustments for Google Chrome but the issue seems to not be through my web browser since it causes issues across all programs that need a connection.

Basically I don't know what to do next. My modem and router are new but I haven't ruled out it might be a hardware/software issue from it until I can get my hands on a new one to test.

Sorry about the long winded message but I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I figured it out. Not sure if it is an accurate solution but it solved my issue. I posted it if anyone is interested in the solution or if they have a better explanation of what happened.

Solution
I figured out the issue.

My router was cycling because it was getting interference on the 2.4 from my neighbors. Even though I was plugged directly into my router, since my wifi was still broadcasting, the whole system would cycle when it got too much interference effecting the router as a whole and my plugged in connection.

To test it, I disconnected my router and plugged directly into my modem and had no interruptions. After that, I plugged in the router back to normal and ran a wifi analyzer which showed I had a heavy amount of interference on the 2.4 channel I was on. I switched channels to the lowest interference one and the problem went away. I ended up turning off the 2.4 broadcast since I only use 5 anyways and that had no...
Jan 11, 2019

Unfortunately I am stuck with one carrier due to my location. I know that I am probably entering into more technical troubleshooting that is probably a pain in the butt to explain and most likely beyond my knowledge of the topic.

Jan 11, 2019
I figured out the issue.

My router was cycling because it was getting interference on the 2.4 from my neighbors. Even though I was plugged directly into my router, since my wifi was still broadcasting, the whole system would cycle when it got too much interference effecting the router as a whole and my plugged in connection.

To test it, I disconnected my router and plugged directly into my modem and had no interruptions. After that, I plugged in the router back to normal and ran a wifi analyzer which showed I had a heavy amount of interference on the 2.4 channel I was on. I switched channels to the lowest interference one and the problem went away. I ended up turning off the 2.4 broadcast since I only use 5 anyways and that had no interference.

Ultimately, I did not think it was a wifi issue because I was plugged in directly but the system doesn't care if you are plugged in or using the wifi, it will automatically the whole system if there is too much interference.

Solution