[SOLVED] unstable system while gaming/BSODs on gaming PC.

Sep 9, 2019
hi there everyone. I'm having (and for quite some time now, have had) issues with this rig I assembled sometime last year. the whole thing was working fine up until a power outage sometime nearing the end of march this year, and my entire system has been acting up exclusively while gaming ever since. I've done 4 fresh windows reinstalls thus far, no dice. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and most recently REFERENCE_BY_POINTER are some of the code prompts I've been seeing. I've already made sure my drivers were up to date.

what's curious is the system seems to have only turned progressively worse over time. as DOTA 2 used to run with the occasional CTD/BSOD, now you can't get past the character select screen without either of the two. same for L4D2. Black Mesa, F.E.A.R, TF2, you name it. Doom 2016 I get BSODs with, but also every now and then the entire PC would freeze and only the background music would be heard. I used to believe the less demanding/system intensive games were out of the question, until I got my latest BSOD - playing GZDoom of all things. now not one game is safe! not even Enter the Gungeon. I swear every game I play just terrifies the hell outta me now.

Please help me out. I'm ready to swap out any faulty components.

here's a minidump rar, listing out the 4 latest crashes. I've had many, MANY more overtime, these are just the ones bluescreenview lists out.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kc6cqz4pydjh9td/minidump.rar/file

my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
MOBO: GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3200MHz
PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt Lite 700W
STORAGE: 1TB 7200RPM WD Blue hard drive
CASE: Halion c3903 Stingray

I don't do overclocking.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
BTW, some stuff I've done is run memtest86+ on both RAM sticks separately, no errors parsed during any pass. still unstable gaming with only either of the two installed. also ive changed thermal paste. still nothing

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
is ram on the motherboards QLV list?
is that ram speed right? I think its meant to be 2933

according to this the max speed CPU can run is 2933 - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g

DDR4-3000 on Ryzen runs at 2933. Running it at 3004 without changing anything else is making it unstable. Set it to 2933.

although thats 3200, I wonder if its the same. It would explain odd errors like Reference By Pointer showing up. You might want to slow down that ram. Your CPU can only run it 3200 if its overclocked (the CPU)

I will get a friend to convert dump files

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
that would be weird considering the system was running fine prior to the fact. i'll try slowing down the ram but i don't see it doing much of a difference. besides iirc weren't ryzen APUs' performance hinging on RAM speed? like the faster RAM the better they performed?

that aside no, I've known this RAM wasnt on the QVL list for my current mobo for the longest of times (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16) but looking around I could never find a mobo that had it listed.
also same as my first point, the system was working fine up until the blowout so I'm not sure it has to do with anything, but I guess I'll look into getting a new one if the mobo is indeed to blame.

thanks for the response either way. greatly appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wait and see what dumps reveal, it could just be software.

The person I get to convert them is asleep right now so it might be a few hours

tbh I wasn't sure about ram, it was something I only recently found out myself so it is possible I am wrong (wouldn't be 1st time). I do know 2933 mentioned on that wiki as being max memory speed in 2 channels, makes me think there is something to it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump files and you can see the full reports here:

Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/OQfc.html KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/zYUi.html SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Dump 3: https://pste.eu/p/eNyA.html REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
Dump 4: https://pste.eu/p/dmf4.html DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump 5: FILE CORRUPT, UNABLE TO PROCESS

Drivers across all 5 dumps (BETA, currently in dev).
Dump 1Dump 2Dump 3Dump 4
HWiNFO64A.SYSHWiNFO64A.SYSHWiNFO64A.SYSHWiNFO64A.SYS
lgcoretemp.syslgcoretemp.syslgcoretemp.syslgcoretemp.sys
amdgpio3.sysamdgpio3.sysamdgpio3.sysamdgpio3.sys
LGVirHid.sysLGVirHid.sysLGVirHid.sysLGVirHid.sys
LGJoyXlCore.sysLGJoyXlCore.sysLGJoyXlCore.sysLGJoyXlCore.sys
LGBusEnum.sysLGBusEnum.sysLGBusEnum.sysLGBusEnum.sys
RTCore64.sysRTCore64.sysRTCore64.sysRTCore64.sys
RTCore64.sysamdpsp.sysRtkBtfilter.sysamdpsp.sys
RTKVHD64.sysRTKVHD64.sysAMDRyzenMasterDriver.sysRTKVHD64.sys
LMouFilt.Sysrt640x64.sysrt640x64.sysrt640x64.sys
LHidFilt.Sysamdgpio2.sysamdgpio2.sysamdgpio2.sys
amdpsp.syscpuz148_x64.syscpuz148_x64.syscpuz148_x64.sys
rt640x64.sysCorsairVBusDriver.sysamdhdaudbus.sysCorsairVBusDriver.sys
amdgpio2.sysCorsairVHidDriver.sysCorsairVBusDriver.sysCorsairVHidDriver.sys
cpuz148_x64.sysAtihdWT6.sysCorsairVHidDriver.sysAtihdWT6.sys
ALSysIO64.sysatikmpag.sysRTKVHD64.sysatikmpag.sys
CorsairVBusDriver.sysatikmdag.sysamdpsp.sysatikmdag.sys
CorsairVHidDriver.sysAtihdWT6.sys
AtihdWT6.sysrtwlanu.sys
atikmpag.sysatikmpag.sys
atikmdag.sysatikmdag.sys
AtihdWT6.sysBthA2dp.sys
atikmdag.sys
avgArPot.sys
avgMonFlt.sys

I highly suggest you view each report for detailed information regarding each bugcheck.

Some things to consider:
  • One of your dumps blames DX, and your AMD Video drivers are out of date. You should update these.
  • Your logitech peripheral drivers may be out of date, and these can cause conflicts with latest Windows.
  • You have MSI Afterburner installed, you may need to uninstall this.
  • Your Realtek audio driver is out of date.
  • Your AMD Chipset driver is out of date.
  • Some of your dumps show USB interaction in the STACK before the crash, so some peripheral device could be an issue.
From various MB / Chipset drivers being out of date, you can find the latest here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
top one mentioned hidusb.sys. HID = mouse/kb/USB devices, maybe caused by LGS, its a USB device of some kind.
2nd one is win32full.sys and I wouldn't be surprised if its caused by GPU drivers
3rd mentions audiodg.exe which is windows Audio Graph
4th is likely GPU drivers, as suggested above.

what corsair devices have you got? is it watercooled?

Reactions: PC Tailor
Sep 9, 2019
First off - thanks tons, PC Tailor for taking the time to look into the files. much appreciated.

Second off, I'm... bewildered, honestly. I was certain everything was up to date on my machine, like I've always made sure my drivers were fine. and looking into it now - that still seems to be case. in fact, throughout the 4 windows reinstalls I did, I want to say everything, from the b350 chipset to radeon software, even logitech gaming software (which the latest update says 2018-10-08, though automatic system detection claims 2018-05-10 is what I should get?) has always been the latest. i'm not too sure what's going wrong with these GPU drivers honesly. if I head over to device management and manually update the radeon driver via dropoff menu, my pc freezes. this has always happened.

checked the latest chipset driver software again- says I'm up to speed on everything, currently reinstalling GPU drivers a second time around, see if it does anything. EDIT: just finished. no problems found during installation.

I'm aware already that installing certain drivers before others can affect system stability since they're meant to follow a strict order, which is why i always install chipset drivers first -> GPU drivers second, then sound drivers (although radeon software already comes packaged with them so no worries on that front) -> anything else (iCue, LGS, etc). also how come I can't use Afterburner? aw, man.

regarding that HIDusb.sys thing, a month or so ago I installed Driver Booster to help me cull out this exact issue I'm having now, which I thought would've been of help. I ended up installing something that caused that BSOD to come up- so I'm to blame for that one. I've pruned it ever since.

@Colif - nothing aside from the ram sticks. no water cooling although i plan on investing on a h100i pro rgb in the near future.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
I'm also not too certain I should be worried or comforted that this issue seems to be entirely software related. I was getting ready to start singling out components one by one, starting from PSU and working my way towards the CPU. I had already checked my HDD was fine.

also -
  1. should I run the verifier and post results?
  2. would updating BIOS again help? I've already done it once. currently sitting at F40, but last time I did it, I had to reinstall windows 10 because nothing would happen upon boot. (this actually didn't help last time, just wondering whether should I do it again for good measure.)

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
checked the latest chipset driver software again- says I'm up to speed on everything, currently reinstalling GPU drivers a second time around, see if it does anything. EDIT: just finished. no problems found during installation.
How are you finding this exactly? Through device manager or directly from the manufacturers site?

Your AMD Chipset is marked as 10/09/2018 - but on MB site it is 2019/07/05 V[19.10.16]?
Do you know exactly what version you are running?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I installed Driver Booster to help me cull out this exact issue I'm having now, which I thought would've been of help
Also avoid these like the plague!
These could well be part of your problem.

Driver updaters have a notorious habit of installing inappropriate, and outright incorrect drivers for your system, and it can cause countless problems. Fortunately driver booster actually performs a system restore backup before I believe.

Sep 9, 2019
How are you finding this exactly? Through device manager or directly from the manufacturers site?

Your AMD Chipset is marked as 10/09/2018 - but on MB site it is 2019/07/05 V[19.10.16]?
Do you know exactly what version you are running?

through the manufacturers' site, of course. I always nab v19.10.16 off the official page, date 2019/07/05.
odd.

I've been moving files to my backup laptop all afternoon and am ready for my fifth fresh indows reinstall. I'll try to test how everything goes one by one, taking on the drivers installation process step by step again. first the chipset drivers, then radeon adrenaline (the GPU drivers). I'll report back if the problem persists. not holding my breath, though.

re: driver booster and driver updater programs, good call on that. I'll try to avoid those in the future. one of the reasons I'm performing another HDD wipe is due to this. I'm pretty sure I recall installing a handful other drivers along the way via DB, which I'd rather not keep around.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
WELP. my computer just crashed for the first time ever OUTSIDE of a game. and I'm DEAD sure it was because I unplugged a USB charger cable from the front panel of my case. there goes 70% of the win10 iso burned onto my USB drive I guess... sigh.
stopcode: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

https://mega.nz/#!61giDKLK

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you run Icue for the ram? I only asked about watercooling as I saw 2 corsair drivers and was curious what it was part of.

I would use another PC than one with problems to make the installer on.

1. should I run the verifier and post results?
  2. would updating BIOS again help? I've already done it once. currently sitting at F40, but last time I did it, I had to reinstall windows 10 because nothing would happen upon boot. (this actually didn't help last time, just wondering whether should I do it again for good measure.)

1. Its worth a try but I would hold off until you have a Working win 10 installer, as that is 1 of my precautions before running DV. See post 2 here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
  2. No. not if it didn't help last time and needed yoiu to reinstall again.

Sep 9, 2019
No, as a matter of fact I don't. just the two RAM sticks and that's about it. huh, that's odd. and yeah, I have a spare laptop which I've backed my older stuff onto.

okay, so- I got done reinstalling and setting stuff up about an hour ago or two. upon first boot, I created the disk partitions, then immediately created a sys restore backup.
then I went straight to windows updater and let it download and install whatever it had to. I admit I had NEVER let WU do this prior to setting up the drivers at any point during my 4 previous fresh reinstalls- whoops. this might have had something to do.
after a quick reboot, I installed the B350 chipset drivers, then rebooted again.
then I installed radeon software (the GPU driver installation software), and rebooted a third time around.
a couple more quick windows defender/cumulative updates later (about one or two, no big deal) from windows update, ANOTHER reboot, and my system's pretty much ready to go- only the essentials so far, which means I'm still missing icue and LGS. I'm worried those are gonna screw with my system in some way shape or form so they're out of the question at least for now.

I'll have to keep on testing the waters playing different games just to ensure everything's as fine as I make it out to be. in the meantime, I've managed to get steam and L4D2 installed- not one crash or BSOD so far, and I've played about 4 maps in one sitting. (my god, do I suck now. my game sense is gone and the big TV screen right in front of me does not do me any favors either.)

but I'm not going to claim myself victor either. I still have this lumbering suspicion in the back of my neck that everything's not quite right still. I've simply been fooled one too many times thinking everything was hunkydory, then 2 or 3 days later- kaboom :V
I'll try installing DOTA 2 tomorrow and ask my brother to test it for me. fingers crossed! I'll report back if anything comes up.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
WELP. my computer just crashed for the first time ever OUTSIDE of a game. and I'm DEAD sure it was because I unplugged a USB charger cable from the front panel of my case. there goes 70% of the win10 iso burned onto my USB drive I guess... sigh.
stopcode: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

https://mega.nz/#!61giDKLK
I tried to access this dump but it wouldn't allow me to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Op has reinstalled so it doesn't really matter what old dumps say, as long as it doesn't happen again on this install.

Running windows update right after an install is always one of my top 3 things to do, alongside installing Chrome and Bitdefender. Getting a solid base for drivers is a good idea.

Your post was in limbo for 1 hour cause you edited it after creation, hence our slow reaction times :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Op has reinstalled so it doesn't really matter what old dumps say, as long as it doesn't happen again on this install.

Running windows update right after an install is always one of my top 3 things to do, alongside installing Chrome and Bitdefender. Getting a solid base for drivers is a good idea.

Your post was in limbo for 1 hour cause you edited it after creation, hence our slow reaction times :)
Ah apologies, I missed that a reinstall was done afterwards :)

Sep 9, 2019
Heh, yeah, sorry about that folks. I should try and be more concise with my posting.

I'm more of a firefox kinda gal but I'll look into bitdefender sometime. I've always been told windows security was enough though, but I won't doubt setting it up if it can help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Heh, yeah, sorry about that folks. I should try and be more concise with my posting.

I'm more of a firefox kinda gal but I'll look into bitdefender sometime. I've always been told windows security was enough though, but I won't doubt setting it up if it can help.
Windows Defender nowadays is pretty excellent. Just it has it's moments.
Myself and Colif (as well as quite a few other mods) are Bitdefender users due to it's consistency and capability over a long period of time. But Defender is perfectly find to begin with in most cases.

Bitdefender does have an excellent free version too. But I digress.

And no, it was my misreading, not your description. I got over excited seeing a dump file link and mashed the mouse button too quickly (I've recently updated my debugging tool so am eager to have more tests on it!)

Sep 9, 2019
Hi there! good news, my system seems to be perfectly stable now. after what must've been, what, four months worth of troubleshooting?
jesus christ.

only downside is... I can't touch the XMP profile on my RAM at all, otherwise certain titles such as DOTA 2 crash to desktop often. :( I tried this earlier today, it was very unstable and I was fearing a bluescreen would pop up if I kept on pushing it. it's a shame because as I've said earlier, this APU is heavily dependant on RAM speeds so performance tanks a fair amount when it's sitting at 2133MHz instead of the 3200 I'm used to. what do you think could be causing this? is my mobo dying? is my PSU going all flaky on me? could it be my 2400g acting up? my RAM sticks are going bad? or maybe all four? bear in mind this is all because of a sudden power outage.

aside from that kink, no BSODs so far, which is great news. DOTA 2 never CTD'd even once during the 4 hour marathon my brother ran :p. I'm still not confident in my skills enough to jump on an actual TF2 server so I've played nothing but bot matches last night for a good 3-4 hours. game runs like butter, same as L4D2. I'm gonna try and get iCue and LGS set up now... hope I don't break anything.

anyways, big thanks @Colif @PC Tailor for helping me out. :3

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file and you can see the full report here:https://pste.eu/p/4LBp.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck A
Probably caused by : Npfs.SYS ( Npfs!NpWriteDataQueue+11b )
PROCESS_NAME: steamwebhelper.exe

I'd be tempted to find updates for your logitech devices, I've seen a few BSOD where these have cropped up (including my own Logitech devices) and beginning to wonder if there is some conflict. Also there are multiple Audio drivers, but Colif may know more about whether that is intentional or not.

Also looking at
RtkBtfilter.sys03/04/2018RealtekFilter Driver for the Realtek Bluetooth Chip

You have FLTMGR!FltpDispatch and a page fault shown in the stack prior to the bug check being recognised, so you're looking at Driver/RAM/Storage.

Last edited: